Chest Freezer for Sale - 24.6 cu. ft

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jamie
Jamie's picture
Alchemist, member since
Chest Freezer for Sale - 24.6 cu. ft

If anyone is looking for a keezer conversion project, a friend is selling this Kenmore Chest Freezer

paid $900 for it, asking $400 OBO

Dimensions and Capacity:
Width (in.):73.25
Depth (in.):29.5
Overall Capacity (Cu Ft):24.6
Freezer Capacity:21 cu.ft. and larger
Height w/Door Closed (In.):35

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Yes, intersted! lemme look

Yes, intersted! lemme look into this some more, headed to picthork. you gonna be there?

Jamie
Jamie's picture
Alchemist, member since
Definitely. Trying to get

Definitely. Trying to get there in time to see Sharon today

Jamie
Jamie's picture
Alchemist, member since
By the way, the freezer is

By the way, the freezer is being sold by a friend who moved away and has it in storage here. He will be in town later this month to actually make the sale. So just let me know if you have questions or want to buy it, I can put you in touch

joefalck
joefalck's picture
http://www.homebrewtalk.com

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/

while that model isn't spec-ed out in the above chart, similar sized models can fit reportedly fit 20 corny kegs with a collar.  This would be great for the brewhouse, if only there were a place for it...

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
Could it fit behind the bar?

Could it fit behind the bar? Kinda getting tired waiting for the cooler thats supposed to go there...

joefalck
joefalck's picture
20 kegs...one keezer...wow!!!

20 kegs...one keezer...wow!!!

It's roughly 6 feet, by 4 feet, by 4....
Think of all the cold crashing and carbing everyone could do...old keezer strictly for serving, new one for lagering (in kegs) carbing and cold crashing (in kegs) could be nice...

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
I got a hundred on it for the

I got a hundred on it for the club. Anyone else wanna donate? It would be mad sexy behind the bar!

adman
adman's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Even without a collar (not

Even without a collar (not sure whether a keezer/collar would fit under the bar) it would fit 12+ kegs. Considering that we paid almost $400 for the current 10 ft^3 keezer, that's a hell of a deal.

Jamie
Jamie's picture
Alchemist, member since
Friend who owns this freezer

Friend who owns this freezer will be in town this weekend to sell and move the thing. 

Is there interest in CHAOS buying this that I should present to the board, or are other members interested?

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
I'd throw in $50 towards this

I'd throw in $50 towards this going to the club. 

brockboland
brockboland's picture
I could do another $50. With

I could do another $50. With Chuck's $100, Rob's $50, and my $50, that's only another $200 for the club to chip in.

adman
adman's picture
Somebody present this to the

Somebody present this to the board! $200 (net) for an additional 10+ keg carbing/serving/aging spots is a tremendous deal! Getting this before the BrewBQ would also be really helpful for keeping all those beers cool.

Jamie
Jamie's picture
Alchemist, member since
I have let my friend know

I have let my friend know about our interest in this. I'm leaving town tonight, Would someone want to meet up with him later this week to see the thing? Let me know, I'll put in touch

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
I know its a great deal, but

I know its a great deal, but do we have the space for this?  Where would it go?  We're kind of at a space premium already I feel, just food for thought. 

Oh... my... god.  Why haven't we done this?    http://thechive.com/2013/09/17/guys-rig-up-buddies-plumbing-with-beer-wh...

adman
adman's picture
I think the idea is that it

I think the idea is that it would go under the bar in the space where the (always soon-to-be-arriving) cooler is/was supposed to go. Otherwise, I agree that the club doesn't really have space for a giant chest freezer just hanging out in the middle of the brewhouse.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
The Frankenstein big brew

The Frankenstein big brew system is going bye bye, so maybe there?

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Should we vote on this? Make

Should we vote on this? Make the board can do a poll, so we can make a decision on this?

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
If people are willing to

If people are willing to pitch in money, I'd rather see a one-time special collection plate ("collection pint"?) and see if we can't raise the money to re-do the bar ceiling (and with that might very well come a new front wall). 40 people pitching in $45/each will cover the $1800 we need (if that quote is still good).

We've seen too many things NOT get repaird, NOT get cleaned, NOT get taken care of, NOT get accomplished; it's entirely more appealing to me at the moment to see money go toward something that will have a huge positive impact on the club and that we don't have to actively maintain/upkeep...

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
I would do a one time $45

I would do a one time $45 donation for the ceiling... but are we talking about the freezer on this thread, right? I think we should do both (ceiling and freezer). If we are getting rid of the old franken system and have space for it. I mean we are growing as a club and it would be nice to grow our equipment with it as well.

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
I could do $50 towards this.

I could do $50 towards this.

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

kengetty
kengetty's picture
Alchemist, member since
I am pretty sure that this

I am pretty sure that this isn't going to work behind the bar.  I'm imagining everytime you would change a keg it would have to be moved to lift the lid and then pushed back into place...and since it is significantly larger than or current keezer this would prove to be a two person job.

Secondly, if the board votes in favor of accepting this donation the monthly dues would need to be reevaluated along with it.  For those that do not know, at the last brew space we did not have a monthly electric bill and our current one is currently around $200 and the addition of the freezer will create an increase in our monthly fixed costs.

Third, during our board retreat that the board of directors held right after getting elected there were two dry erase boards filled with things we would like to purchase/upgrade/imrove in our space and this was never mentioned.

Fourth, the current cost is not the cost of making it fully operational.  A proposal to the BOD should include the full cost of the collar, regulators, taps, etc.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I did some layouts based on

I did some layouts based on some assumptions of interior dimension from other chest freezers (I could not find the interior dimensions for this freezer anywhere). The walls are assumed to be 3" thick, the lid assumed to be 7".

Depending on the exact thickness of the walls and any interior irregularities, we could get 16 kegs max. But it may be better to assume 15 for planning purposes.

If it is decided to buy this you could consider removing the collar for the exisitng and putting that under the bar and putting the new on in its place, it would fit.

Considering we just built the oak barrel distribution system I dont really think we need to add more taps. However the ability to carb and cold crash additional kegs would be useful. That seems to be a problem right now.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
And I 100% agree with

And I 100% agree with everything Ken said.

It would be nice to see the list fo future projects published somewhere.

Pete
Pete's picture
Alchemist, member since
I agree with Jim and would

I agree with Jim and would rather have the ceiling fixed, I'm willing to donate to that project.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen