I have 120lbs of honey anyone want to come out and make some mead.

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
I have 120lbs of honey anyone want to come out and make some mead.

I have been sitting on 10gal or 120lbs of honey. Several years ago I made a burnt mead (bochet). I stumbled upon it during a youtube video. Regretfully I only made a small batch of it because it is delicious.

I would offer to do it at the club but I would like to stay true to the bon-fire cooking in my big cast iron kettle.

I am thinking about throwing some burgers on and cracking open a few beers Saturday Nov 22 or the sun after FOBAB.

Let me know if interested. I live about 1 hour from downtown straight south in beecher, il.

josh s
josh s's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Im down the sunday after

Im down the sunday after fobab is better for me.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'd be down!

I'd be down!

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
Lets target Sunday the 16th

Lets target Sunday the 16th then. Start around 12:00 or 1:00.

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
Hell yeah. 

Hell yeah. 

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Can I still get in on the fun

Can I still get in on the fun?

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
Yup- I am still open to

Yup- I am still open to hosting some folks. Get started noon-1-2. There is a train (university park metra) and if coordinated I could pick some folks up. Will just to know how many are interested for sure so we can organize. We can share the last bottle of the same thing we will be making in new batch.

josh s
josh s's picture
I still plan on joining, Ill

I still plan on joining, Ill be coming from the westmont area if anyone wants to meet up then ride with me.

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
My address is 381 maxwell,

My address is 381 maxwell, beecher, il. My number is 312-848-7657 (if you need to get a hold of me). We will be at FoBAB on Saturday evening if anyone else going then and needs more detail..

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Right on, I'll be there!

Right on, I'll be there!

josh s
josh s's picture
What kind of yeast do did you

What kind of yeast do did you use in the past?  Any yeast nutrieants, go ferm or ferm aid? Do you have enough carboys?

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
Josh,

Josh,

When I made this before my ratio of honey to water was 4lbs honey to 5 qts of water (boiled 1 qt or more off).  I then added it to bourbon soaked chips, added a packet of Lavlin EC-1118), and forgot about in the laundry room for many months.  I did not do gravity readings except for the original (I expected it to end up 12-13%).  There were no nutrients temp control or anything-I expected it to be a failure.  It was not a failure it was down right delicious.

This time we are making more and I plan on pitching 1 batch with Lavlin EC-1118, one batch with Wyest 4184, and 1 batch with Wyeast 4632.  I will pick yeast up tonight and run a couple of starters late Fri night or early Sat morning.

After you mentioined it today I thought would be cool to send whoever comes-home with a quantity to play with themselves-LoL (Gallon Wine Jugs?).    I have some jugs (I think) that I can part with-just need are locks.  

I have enough buckets and carboys for 3 batches-and have enough honey I figure for around 25 gallons ( i will confirm this nuimber in my software when I get home as I would like to target OG's in the nominal yeast range).

I consider my first attemp a happy accident.  Will probably use my burners for a couple batches to speed up the process-I have 2 old kettels as well as my cauldron.

FYI everyon-I do have a TV in the garage so no football will need to be missed.

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
Ill probably light fire at 10

Ill probably light fire at 10 or 11.  Also we can run hot "wort" through my plate chiller to cool it down.

brockboland
brockboland's picture
I think I've got two airlocks

I think I've got two airlocks in stoppers for one-gallon jugs, though I recycled the jugs so I wouldn't have to move them to my new apartment. I can bring those along if you need them.

Also: anything else I can bring, beyond meat and beer?

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
Brock that sounds good. Im

Brock that sounds good. Im gonna try to fire up my heater in the garage too! Damn it got cold.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
I too have a couple of

I too have a couple of growlers I can bring along. DOes anyone wanna carpool?

brockboland
brockboland's picture
I'm coming down from

I'm coming down from Wrigleyville. I could grab you (and up to two more) on the way if you like.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
Works for me. Jen might be

Works for me. Jen might be joining us too.

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
Sweet happy to see folks are

Sweet happy to see folks are gonna make it.

josh s
josh s's picture
If you guys wanna head

If you guys wanna head through westmont, Ill carpool to but it might be out of the way, lemme know.

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Google Maps says Westmont is

Google Maps says Westmont is way out of the way, at least from my place, but it occurs to me now that I don't know where Chuck lives, so I may well be heading that direction anyway. Chuck?

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
I am at 35th and S. Western

I am at 35th and S. Western Blvd.

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Yeah, that's still way out of

Yeah, that's still way out of the way. Sorry Josh.

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
For reference Matt said he

For reference Matt said he pitched yeast at 1.134. So we should have some pretty potent stuff if the yeast does its job.

Cant wait for the tasting and see what everyone comes up with.