Winter 2014 Bulk Grain Buy

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Winter 2014 Bulk Grain Buy

This is the official thread for the CHAOS winter 2014 Bulk Grain Buy.

Before you participate, here are some items you should know about.

• The group buy will be start on Monday, January 20th.
  • The grain buying period will end once the first pallet is filled or by February 20th (whichever occurs first).  An extension will be announced if the first pallet is not majority filled by the close date as an under-fill pallet shipping makes it cost prohibitive.
  • Any orders made after the first pallet is filled will automatically be placed on Pallet #2.  It should be noted that Pallet #2 is a waiting list.  Refunds can be issued or the purchaser may opt to wait for the next grain buy.  If interest is strong enough a second pallet may be opened.
  • Pallet #1 will be for grain only.  Please respond to this thread if you are interested in any items other than grain.  If interest is strong enough, a pallet for non-grain items can be opened.
  • A shipping date will be posted to this thread.  Please keep in mind that once the date is established you will have 2 days to pick up your grain.  CHAOS cannot utilize public space to store your grain from a bulk buy.
  • If you have purchased a CHAOS storage spot, typically 1.5 sacks of grain will fit into one spot.
  • If you have any questions please post them to this thread.  It's more than likely that your question may be someone else’s question too.  If a private question is required, you may email me through the site.
  • To access the grain buy follow this link:  https://www.chaosbrewclub.net/groupbuy/1

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Grain buy is now open. Please

Grain buy is now open. Please follow the link in the description above to access the buy.

Kyle
Kyle's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Saying access denied when I

Saying access denied when I try and add a sack to the cart.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Anyone interested in

Anyone interested in splitting some HDC-DK2-CS (Belgian Dark 2 syrup)? 

Oh... my... god.  Why haven't we done this?    http://thechive.com/2013/09/17/guys-rig-up-buddies-plumbing-with-beer-wh...

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
My bad Kyle, should be fixed.

My bad Kyle, should be fixed. 

Oh... my... god.  Why haven't we done this?    http://thechive.com/2013/09/17/guys-rig-up-buddies-plumbing-with-beer-wh...

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I would be interested in

I would be interested in splitting 1/2 sack of wheat malt.

Also, if there was a misc. pallet I would be intrested in some hops ect.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
James hops come in 11# bags.

James hops come in 11# bags. We'd have to make a spot buy. About half the popular hops were all scooped up in contracting. But let me know if you have something your interested in. I might have some on hand I can give you in smaller amounts.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Good to know. I am not

Good to know. I am not exactly sure about what kind of hops yet. Probably just some standard c types.

skunkmere
Web-only, member since
Do you have to be a member of

Do you have to be a member of Chaos to get in the GB? I was interested in some.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Yes you do. Friend apprentice

Yes you do. Friend apprentice or brewer

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I am not sure who has admin

I am not sure who has admin rights on this, but I think I double ordered wheat....

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
Who's heading up this buy? I

Who's heading up this buy? I see money coming into our PayPal account in odd (i.e., non-membership) amounts and I'm guessing it might be this grain buy? If so, please advise on what I'm doing with this money and when. Thanks!

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
James: I'll check your order

James: I'll check your order in a little bit and let u know.

Jim: mark this money for group buy. Or just don't do anything with it. Everyone's payment accounts for the cost of what they purchased plus all the fees for service, delivery, lift gate, etc.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Skunkmere,

Skunkmere,

James is correct you must be in one of our membership tiers. However if you are a trial member, you also have limited time access. So if you bought a trial membership to attend one of our parties or to just give the brewhouse a try, you should have access to the buy for the duration of the trial membership period.

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
That's cool. Thanks for

That's cool. Thanks for clarifying!

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
James - I show you ordering 2

James - I show you ordering 2 sacks of wheat.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
A general update on the grain

A general update on the grain buy.  It looks like we have filled half a pallet as of today, Friday February 7th.  If you have an order please keep in mind that the grain buy will be closing in about 13 days, on the 20th of Feb.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Can one of those be canceled?

Can one of those be canceled? I am not sure how I managed to do that.

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
When the grain buy closes, I

When the grain buy closes, I'm gonna need a list names and what each person should have paid so I can check them against the paypal account and confirm them for you guys.

Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy's picture
James,

James,

Do you have the wheat malt purchased all ready or should I do that?

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Its purchased. I actually

Its purchased. I actually accidentially bought two. I am trying to get one removed.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
James - Lucas and I are

James - Lucas and I are working on getting this corrected.  You actually have a total of 3 bags of Canadian Wheat.  How many did you want? only 1; or only 2?

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Just 1, Lucas got in touch

Just 1, Lucas got in touch with me.

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
Question, how full does this

Question, how full does this order need to be to get put in on the 20th?  

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
I will be putting to sacks

I will be putting two sacks into the order.  Can't do it until we get closer to the 20th though.

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Get Your orders in...The

Get your orders in...the pallet is set to close tomorrow, Thursday the 20th of Feb. (if there is interest, I would be willing to keep the pallet open 8 more days.  After which, the pallet will be shipping at whatever status it is currently at).

I'll also be opening up orders for any specialty items such as wood spirals, chemicals, 11# bags of hops, etc.  The catalog link is https://www.chaosbrewclub.net/groupbuy/2  I'll leave specialty item orders open until the end of February.

Kyle
Kyle's picture
Completly forgot to get my

Completly forgot to get my order in. If there is still room I want to add 1 or 2 sacks.

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
just added 2 sacks

just added 2 sacks

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I purchased a sack of two row

I purchased a sack of two row, but just paid for it with my own debit card.  I hope that was okay....

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Jeff - Were there any

Jeff - Were there any problems?  Don't really care how you pay as long as it goes through and you're fine with it!

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Nope, no problems, it was

Nope, no problems, it was actually super easy.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
I tried to access the group

I tried to access the group buy this morn and it said it was closed... I am st work now and won't be able to get to it till I get home...

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Yeah, that was a glitch that

Yeah, that was a glitch that Lucas corrected.  The grain buy will be open until midnight.  The non-grain ordering is now open and working.  I can confirm this because I saw that someone bought some belgian candi syrup.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
That was me. Still willing

That was me. Still willing to split if anyone wants in some.

Jefftravis17
What is the expected delivery

What is the expected delivery date? Want to make sure I adjust my schedule to be there with 48 hours.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
I will be placing the order

I will be placing the order after on the 28th.  I'll post the exact delivery date once the order is confirmed, but I'd venture to guess first week in March.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Ok, Im gonna close everything

Ok, Im gonna close everything up tomorrow....unless there are any objections.   I'd like to have the grain delivered on Friday and have it there for the meeting on Sunday.  If anyone wants to get a last minute sack on the pallet there is still room - but you have to do it today (2/24).  PM me and I'll open it up for you.  I'm putting the order in tomorrow, 2/25/14. 

FYI for those that don't brew all grain, they offer 50# sacks of DME...at 90 bucks its probably about half of what you'd pay at normally.  Might be good for a group split and using to make starters, too.

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
Thanks for organizing this

Thanks for organizing this David.

Jefftravis17
Yes, much appreciated.

Yes, much appreciated.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Okay.  The grain amounts have

Okay.  The grain amounts have all been tabulated and the order had been sent in.  We are all setup for a delivery for this Friday, February 28th.  The grain will be available by Friday afternoon.  Mark will be on site to accept the delivery.  I'll leave it to him to post to this thread when he has accepted the delivery.  The driver will be calling ahead 1 hour in advance.  I have also requested a smaller stake truck with a lift gate.

As for pickup, if you have door code access you may pick up your grain at anytime once deliver is made.  For those that need access, consult the brewhouse calendar - it looks like there should be plenty of people brewing this weekend.  Also, our meeting is this Sunday.  This may be the best time to pick up your grain.  Please make every effort to have your grain picked up by Sunday.  We can not store grain at CHAOS after that period.

Cheers and Happy Brewing.

kengetty
kengetty's picture
Alchemist, member since
Just catching up on this

Just catching up on this thread now...was there a DME sack ordered?  I like the idea of ordering it for starters.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Nope.  Order was placed last

Nope.  Order was placed last night.  Only thing non-grain that was put in was star-san and Belgian Candi sugar.

JoshGlazier
I would like to pick up on

I would like to pick up on Friday. Do we have any type of eta or time range?

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Ken: I was able to edit the

Ken: I was able to edit the order and added your request for DME. 

Josh:  The delivery is set for tomorrow...they load it on a truck and send it around the region...we wont know when delivery is until about an hour out.  The hours for the delivery truck are between 9-5.  If you are a brewer level member with a door code, I'd say swinging by after 5pm is the best bet.  If not, maybe someone who does have a code and is also picking up on Friday can post when they will be at the brewhouse.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
So I have bad news apparently

So I have bad news apparently our pallet was never picked up and we won't be receiving delivery until Monday. Somewhere between trucking company t The ball was dropped and with this now being Friday we won't be able to get anything until Monday.

Sorry for delay folks I would have liked to have all the grain for the meeting but we're going to have to do next week Monday

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I am flying out of town from

I am flying out of town from this Monday to the following Monday, so if someone could throw my stuff on my shelves I would appreciate it.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'll be there brewing on

I'll be there brewing on Monday, so I can try and help with delivery.  I think we've already got someone coming to look at the front ceiling and I'm going to try and get the electric on the east wall done as well.

MarkWalters
MarkWalters's picture
Alchemist, member since
The grain is delivered in and

The grain is delivered in and the brew house. Brewer level members can pick up any time. I will be here 3:30 till five for non brewer level members to pickup today.

there was some concealed damage to the pallet that I did not see before the driver left. There was a small crush in the bottom corner that ripped three briess bags. Two two row and one 10l bag were ripped. The 10l lost no grain, the 2 row maybe lost 1.5 pounds between the two. You will want to tape or repackage before you move these sacks. 

Because this is not the fault of those who bought full sacks, I am offering you three options. 1. $5 for your trouble. I gaurentee no one lost more than that much grain. 2. Take the sack as is. 3. I'll buy the sack off you and work it out with mid country. 6 of the two row sacks are fine, so I'm not sure if there is a fair way to allocate the damaged 2 row sacks....if someone is cool with taking a damaged sack, just take it. Their is a little spilled grain in a pitcher next to each.

Jefftravis17
I had a bag of 2 Row and have

I had a bag of 2 Row and have no proble taking one of the damaged bags - as is. Thanks, Jeff.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
Those who bought grain,

Those who bought grain, please pick up your grain asap! I was at the brewhouse last night and there is about 10 sacks laying about unsecured. I have seen a mouse in the brewhouse and y'all have been lucky so far that it hasn"t feasted on your grain yet.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
A buddy and I will be there

A buddy and I will be there tomorrow to brew and take care of a lot of that grain.

On that now, there are two sacks of grain sitting open in a storage spot.  This is a reminder that grain stored at the brewhouse on a long term basis needs to be stored in something plastic or metal (i.e. mouseproof). 

Pages