2012 Fall Group Grain Buy

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
Pallet number 2 is now at 35

Pallet number 2 is now at 35 sacks.  7 to go come on guys.

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

Kyle
Kyle's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Finally ordered my 4 sacks.

Finally ordered my 4 sacks. 2nd pallet should be close now.

lagerdan
lagerdan's picture
Apprentice, member since
im flying to minne-snow-ta 

im flying to minne-snow-ta  tomorrow at 3....what should i do??

MarkWalters
MarkWalters's picture
Alchemist, member since
VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE!

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE! DELIVERY IS TOMORROW! 

The trucking company will be delivering grain tomorrow. Please don't come today - there will be nothing for you to pick up. Sorry for the inconvenience. Everything will be there by 5 PM tomorrow - I'll post if it's ready earlier.

DrewDaniels
Web-only, member since
I'm in Rogers Park near Clark

I'm in Rogers Park near Clark and Devon, so it's a bit of trek out here. I know a ton of people with cars around here, but no one is very good at answering their phones.

EvanSmith
EvanSmith's picture
Drew, what neighborhood to

Drew, what neighborhood to you live in? Wouldn't doubt if you're near someone else picking up grain tonight

DrewDaniels
Web-only, member since
I'm hoping to get there

I'm hoping to get there around 5 today. Still trying to find a car to borrow as I don't think I can carry 4 sacks on my bike.

Kyle
Kyle's picture
I will be ordering probably 4

I will be ordering probably 4 sacks on this second pallet. I have been procrastinating big time but will enter my order tonight and that should get us closer to closing it out.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Should be plenty of room,

Should be plenty of room, Lucas.

ThomasThorpe
Web-only, member since
I'll be by at 5 with a truck

I'll be by at 5 with a truck and some buckets for split sacks... really excited about this!

MarkWalters
MarkWalters's picture
Alchemist, member since
Not at all, come on by.

Not at all, come on by.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Gents, I had planned on

Gents, I had planned on stopping by to rack a beer tonight after work.  Should I hold off till tomorrow to stay out of the way?  Just let me know, its nothing urgent.

Oh... my... god.  Why haven't we done this?    http://thechive.com/2013/09/17/guys-rig-up-buddies-plumbing-with-beer-wh...

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'll be there till about 8:30

I'll be there till about 8:30, as well.

MarkWalters
MarkWalters's picture
Alchemist, member since
Those confirmed on pallet 1 -

Those confirmed on pallet 1 - it is being delivered tomorrow. If you have paid, you can pick up after 5 PM. I will be there until 7 PM. I will post here if you can pick up early.

JoeArthurs
Awesome, glad to know I didn

Awesome, glad to know I didn't screw it up!

EvanSmith
EvanSmith's picture
Hi Joe, I checked and you're

Hi Joe, I checked and you're down on the 2nd pallet for 1 sack of 2row & 1 sack of Maris. I'm on the 2nd pallet as well & haven't received my total b/c they don't want us paying until the pallet is full.

Which brings me to my next point, who needs grain!?!?! only 14 sacks to go until the 2nd pallet is full & the fall buy is closed (assuming there isn't enough for a 3rd pallet).We probably won't order again until mid-winter

JoeArthurs
I just wanted to check that I

I just wanted to check that I filled out the form correctly and am down for 2 sacks on the second pallet. I filled it out over a week ago, but haven't gotten any confirmation that the reservation was made. This is the first time I am trying to get in on a grain buy so just wanted to make sure I didn't mess something up. I realize that nothing is finalized until a pallet is full. 

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
We are at a total of 28 sacks

We are at a total of 28 sacks ordered for pallet #2. So that means that we have room for 14 more sacks of grain.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
how many sacks do we have

how many sacks do we have left to fill #2?  I'll prolly put in a couple more to get us there.

Oh... my... god.  Why haven't we done this?    http://thechive.com/2013/09/17/guys-rig-up-buddies-plumbing-with-beer-wh...

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Okay, good news. All payments

Okay, good news. All payments for pallet #1 have been submitted. I will call later tomorrow to get a quote.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
James - its not too late. We

James - its not too late. We are finalizing pallet #1, but there are about 19 or so sacks left to be fufilled on pallet #2. Once the pallet is full we will confirm people, collect $, and have pallet #2 delivered...just need 19 more sacks ordered.

As for pallet #1, we will be keeping payments open for the rest of today. If you are on pallet #1 and you have not paid by the end of the day, your spot will be made available to people on pallet #2. Please use the new paypal email, listed a few comments back.

JamesFaircloth
JamesFaircloth's picture
Alchemist, member since
just sent in my order for 2

just sent in my order for 2 bags if it isn't too late.

--james

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
It looks like the full amount

It looks like the full amount came across, thomas.

Here is an update on paid people on pallet one. If you are listed below, we have received your payment:

Kevin - paid in full
Thorpe - paid in full
Lager Dan - paid in full
Drew - paid, but 3.15 balance remains (unpaid paypal fees)

ThomasThorpe
Web-only, member since
Just paid today but there

Just paid today but there wasn't a place to pay the fee... paid under "goods" and I know I've paid the fee before but there was no selection for that this time around. If it charges you please let me know and I get you some more money. Sorry for the screw-up if there is one. 

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
If you haven't already paid..

If you haven't already paid...please pay to this new account we setup.  We are doing a lot of transitioning of many things around here, so hang in there with us as we get all our ducks in a row.  Our new paypal account is linked to the email address below:

CHAOSBrewClub@gmail.com

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
FYI. There are only 19 sacks

FYI. There are only 19 sacks left on pallet 2. Also a reminder to those of you on pallet 1...you have until September 15th to pay your balance...or your spot will be given to the next available and willing person.

DrewDaniels
Web-only, member since
Just added another sack, I'm

Just added another sack, I'm stocking up for winter.

EvanSmith
EvanSmith's picture
FYI, there are 21 sacks left

FYI, there are 21 sacks left on the 2nd pallet so it's half full. I'm sure it will fill up quickly after the monthly meeting this Sun so I would get in on the 2nd pallet if you're on the fence. No guarantee that we can fill a 3rd pallet.

GrantCarey
Lucas- gotcha, thanks

Lucas- gotcha, thanks

ThomasThorpe
Web-only, member since
I already have the grain

I already have the grain ordered, I'll shoot you a message with what you owe me soon. 

DrewDaniels
Web-only, member since
Have you already ordered that

Have you already ordered that? And if so I just pay you when you have the totals figured?

Thomas Thorpe said:

Lucas, chocolate is all yours.

Drew, victory and aromatic coming your way. 

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Grant - Alchemists, please

Grant - Alchemists, please correct me if I'm wrong, but only alchemists can store things at the brewhouse (unless its equipment left there for public use).  And even with that I believe the storage is still limited to the grain room. 

ThomasThorpe
Web-only, member since
Lucas, chocolate is all yours

Lucas, chocolate is all yours.

Drew, victory and aromatic coming your way. 

DrewDaniels
Web-only, member since
I'm still hoping to split

I'm still hoping to split some melanoidin and potentially a good Special B substitute, not sure what would work best?

Thomas I'd be willing to split the victory and aromatic if you still need somebody for those.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
I just put in another 4 bags

I just put in another 4 bags on pallet 2

Thomas - Count me in for half of your chocolate if its not spoken for.

GrantCarey
Can someone refresh my memory

Can someone refresh my memory on what the policy is for storing grain @ the brewhouse?  Assuming the 2nd pallet is filled collectively that's 4200 lbs, right? I'm only getting a sack and a half and can easily find space in my apartment to put it but if I didn't have to transport it back and forth that would be ok with me as well.

ThomasThorpe
Web-only, member since
Evan, sounds good, it'a all

Evan, sounds good, it'a all yours.

EvanSmith
EvanSmith's picture
Thomas, are you still looking

Thomas, are you still looking for a split on the Munich? I'd take half if so.

Dave & Adam, thanks for the advice. Going to try one batch with Munich and one with Maris to compare the difference for shits & giggles.

Pete
Pete's picture
Alchemist, member since
I just ordered 4 sacks as

I just ordered 4 sacks as well

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
I just played a 3 sack order

I just played a 3 sack order for pallet 2.

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

Kyle
Kyle's picture
I will be ordering some for

I will be ordering some for pallet two when I get paid shortly. I assume with the meeting on sunday we will be able to drum up enough interest to fill that second pallet.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Last check of pallet two,

Last check of pallet two, there are 34 sacks needed to get a second pallet going.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
If you are using pay pal,

If you are using pay pal, please pay the fee.

I do not want to accept cash, but I will ask Jim if he is willing to accept payments for the grain buy in person - no guarantee here though.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Evan - goin off of the

Evan - goin off of the dicription you gave...I'd either recommend marris otter or even Munich Malt. I personally prefer using a more robust and flavorful malt like munich when I am doing stouts. Munich has enough diastatic power to convert itself, but if you are using specialty grains it is wise to add a small amount of 2-row to help with conversion. Munich malt also tends to be closer to the redish hue that you referenced.

adman
adman's picture
I would caution against

I would caution against overuse of the gift option to avoid paypal fees.  Paypal has apparently been known to freeze accounts (including all of the money in them) if it deems that a person is "abusing" the gift option.  Given that the person ordering the grains is going to be handling well over a thousand dollars, it would suck if their paypal account was frozen over 3% in fees.

I would advise adding the 3% to your purchase amount and paying that much via regular paypal.  If you wish to avoid the fee, I'm sure Dave or one of the other organizers will be happy to accept cash.  Maybe even a check if they trust you.

-Adam

Thomas Thorpe said:

Last time around we were encouraged to use the "gift" option as it doesn't charge anything.

BTW, if anyone is still wanting to split sacks with me just let me know. I have some extra grain that I may or may not use so let me know. 

adman
adman's picture
For a stout, I would guess

For a stout, I would guess Marris Otter would be a better sub than Vienna, just based on the style (stouts being traditionally English and all).

Evan Smith said:

I was looking at an AG clone recipe for a stout i brewed that turned out well when i was still doing extract & i'm looking for advice. The recipe is calling for "special pale" which seems to only be made by Cargill. Here is the description: 

Cargill Special Pale (3° - 4° L)
This moderately kilned two-row malt will lend a forward malt flavor and aroma as well as an amber-red color. An excellent base malt for ales and amber lagers.

Online forums are pretty unsure since it's a seldom used grain, but would Maris Otter be a good sub? Vienna? Thanks y'all!

ThomasThorpe
Web-only, member since
Last time around we were

Last time around we were encouraged to use the "gift" option as it doesn't charge anything.

BTW, if anyone is still wanting to split sacks with me just let me know. I have some extra grain that I may or may not use so let me know. 

lagerdan
lagerdan's picture
Apprentice, member since
Curious....how are we

Curious....how are we accounting for paypal fee's?

EvanSmith
EvanSmith's picture
I was looking at an AG clone

I was looking at an AG clone recipe for a stout i brewed that turned out well when i was still doing extract & i'm looking for advice. The recipe is calling for "special pale" which seems to only be made by Cargill. Here is the description: 

Cargill Special Pale (3° - 4° L)
This moderately kilned two-row malt will lend a forward malt flavor and aroma as well as an amber-red color. An excellent base malt for ales and amber lagers.

Online forums are pretty unsure since it's a seldom used grain, but would Maris Otter be a good sub? Vienna? Thanks y'all!

DanMcCarthy
DanMcCarthy's picture
Still in, sounds good.

Still in, sounds good.

Grant Carey said:

If you are still interested I'll put in for a sack of best maltz vienna to get the sack count up on the 2nd pallet.

Dan McCarthy said:

I would split a sack of vienna with you grant.

Pages