Want to learn how to brew beer, but aren't sure where to start? CHAOS's Brewing 101 class is for you. A CHAOS brewer will lead you through all of the steps necessary to brew your first beer using malt extract and steeping grains.* This class will focus on the basics of brewing, including an introduction to grains, extract, hops, and yeast. We will also introduce students to the required equipment and cover appropriate sanitation practices. Our recipe will be decided very soon and listed below.
Once students have brewed their beer, they can ferment it in CHAOS's temperature-controlled fermentation room. Future classes will provide instruction on bottling and carbonating the finished beer. The recipe will result in approximately 5 gallons, or around 48 12oz bottles of beer. Students can expect drinkable beer in 4-6 weeks.
YOU MUST BE A MEMBER TO ATTEND THIS CLASS. Trial Member or above (click HERE for membership info). Web-only members may not attend.
Please RSVP using the "I will attend" link below. Class size will be limited to 4 batches. However, multiple students can work on a single batch of beer if they want.
- Fermenter (bucket or carboy);
- Muslin grain bag.
- 6lbs of Light Dry Extract;
- 1lb of Amber Dry Extract;
- 1lb of Fawcett Crystal Malt I (this will be grain);
- 1oz of Horizon Pellet Hops;
- 1oz of Columbus Pellet Hops;
- 1oz of Centennial Pellet Hops;
- 1 Packages of Safale US-05.
PRO TIP: Hops are a commodity that are very hard to predict availability...if the hop that is listed above happens to be out of stock, don't fret...there are substitutes that can be found. Ask an employee or click here.
* Although there is no charge for this class, students must provide their own ingredients and fermenter. See the above shopping list for more information.