2014 AHA National Homebrewers Conference

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
2014 AHA National Homebrewers Conference

I am planning on going to the conference this year, which is being held in next door, in Grand Rapids, MI. Wondering if anyone else was planning on attending? I also thought this would be a good opportunity for CHAOS to get seen on a Regional and National Level.

They are looking for speakers and/or posters on different topic areas, they are listed below. Specifically I thought someone might like to speak about forming and maintaining a club, but there are various other topic areas too. Deadline is this week for submissions. Here are the links to the site for more details.

http://www.ahaconference.org/conference/call-for-presentations/

http://www.ahaconference.org/conference/call-for-presentations/guidelines/

2014 Call for Presentations

HBC 2014 - Call for Presentations
The 2014 AHA National Homebrewers Conference is June 12-14 in Grand Rapids, MI.

The deadline The American Homebrewers Association welcomes presentation submissions for educational seminars and poster presentations at the conference.

The deadline for proposal submissions is December 13, 2013.

This year’s conference, Mashing in Michigan, is meant to present ideas to keep the modern brewer at the forefront of homebrewing, mead-making, and cider-making.

Presentations are expected to be 45 minutes with an additional 15 minutes for Q & A. Topics of interest include, but aren’t limited to:

• Homebrewing, cidermaking or meadmaking processes
  • Homebrewing equipment
  • Ingredients (such as: malted barley, hops, water, yeast, honey, apples, alternative ingredients, spices, etc.)
  • Going-Pro (professional brewers, brewery owners, homebrew shop owners, etc.)
  • Beer styles
  • Homebrew retail
  • Tasting and judging beer
  • Forming and maintaining a club
lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
I had talked with a couple

I had talked with a couple people a few weeks ago about trying to give a talk on running a communal brewhouse, the trials and tribulations that we've had, as well as successes.  I've toyed with a high level outline but I'd be interested in using this thread to flesh that out.  Anyone have any thoughts? 

Oh... my... god.  Why haven't we done this?    http://thechive.com/2013/09/17/guys-rig-up-buddies-plumbing-with-beer-wh...

kengetty
kengetty's picture
Alchemist, member since
I know Dave was at the

I know Dave was at the conference this year and has talked about presenting in 2014.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Here was my thoughts on a

Here was my thoughts on a high level outline.  Sorry, meant to include this before.  I'n happy to own submitting this on behalf of CHAOS and organizing the pieces we might need from others.  Let me know thoughts!

• The story of CHAOS
  • Organizational Structure
    • Board
    • Membership Tiers and Perks
    • Roles and Skills you might need
  • Legal Topics
    • Non-profit / 501c3
    • Insurance
    • Brewer agreements
  • Finding a brewhouse
    • All three of our homes, how we found them
    • How your club could get its own space
    • Benefits of a communal space
    • Protecting the space itself
  • Organizing a brewhouse
    • Communal equipment
    • What people provide on their own
    • What happens as you grow 
      • Need to formalize some things more (brew bays, etc.)
      • Still need to protect community culture above all else
    • The hard stuff
      • Keeping it clean
      • Building a baseline because everyone has different equipment needs
  • Community Programs
    • Quarterly Events
    • Social Events (Wing Nite, Hoppy Hour, etc.)
    • BJCP Classes
    • Barrel Aging Programs
    • Group Buys
    • Competitions
    • Recipe sharing

If others have thoughts, I'll keep this list updated. 

Oh... my... god.  Why haven't we done this?    http://thechive.com/2013/09/17/guys-rig-up-buddies-plumbing-with-beer-wh...

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
That looks pretty

That looks pretty comprehensive!  I like the idea of doing a presentation...  How many people would be presenting?

I also plan on attending. 

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Nice job Lucas. That's a good

Nice job Lucas. That's a good base to build on.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Here's my thoughts on a

Here's my thoughts on a submission.  Submissions close on Sunday so I'd like to get this in by Friday.  Please let me know if you have any comments or thoughts, thanks!

Type of Presentation: Seminar

Proposed Seminar Title: Taking your club to the next level, the community brewhouse. 

Brief Description: 

CHAOS Brew Club of Chicago has done something that few other clubs have done, create a dedicated community space for us to brew, socialize, and share.  This talk will focus on both the ups and downs of our journey so that other clubs and brewers can learn and, hopefully, start their own brewhouse.  We will share our club's experiences in developing our physical space, the organizational and legal hurdle's we've encountered, and how our community has grown beyond just our lease. 

Detailed Description or an outline: 

A little over two years ago a group of homebrewers in Chicago, IL got together to remedy a very serious situation, their apartments weren't large enough to be able to brew easily and effectively.  We had the idea that if enough people got together then not only could we split the cost of the space itself, but we could share equipment and skills.  Today the Chicago Homebrew Alchemists of Sud (CHAOS) has become a place for over 100 people (we've had to grow into bigger spaces twice!) from all over Chicago to get together and share equipment, recipes, techniques, as well as brew and ferment their beers. The purpose of this talk is to give others as much information as possible to help as many other clubs start this journey themselves as well as, hopefully, create a dialog with others that have done something similar!  

• Background of CHAOS
  • Possible Organizational Structure
    • Board of Directors
    • Membership Levels
    • Roles and Skills that we have found helpful (Construction, Master Brewer, Tech Guy, Legal Advice, etc.)
  • Finding a Physical Brewhouse
    • All three of our homes (Starting out, a smaller space, and now a full commercial lease)
    • The benefits of a communal space and how we've used it.
    • Protecting the club (Insurance, Signed Brewer Agreements, 501c3 status)
  • Organizing our Brewhouse
    • Communal equipment vs Individual equipment
    • Areas that we've found useful (ferm room, keezer, lager chamber, etc.)
      • More formalization of space into ferm room, brew bays, etc.
      • Keeping it clean
  • Building a community and not just a space
    • Non-brewing Members
    • Large Quarterly Events
    • Ongoing social events
    • Classes
    • Group Buys
    • Barrel Aging Programs

Target Audience: Homebrewers

Kyle
Kyle's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Are we planning on having our

Are we planning on having our club present at the conference? I would love to have a CHAOS booth and particpate in Club Night. How do we go about setting that up?

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
A couple small edits. It

A couple small edits. It looks great Lucas.

Type of Presentation: Seminar

Proposed Seminar Title: Taking your club to the next level, the community brewhouse. 

Brief Description: 

CHAOS Brew Club of Chicago has done something that few other clubs have done, create a dedicated community space for us to brew, socialize, and share. We believe ourselves to be the largest community brewhouse in the nation. This talk will focus on both the ups and downs of our journey so that other clubs and brewers can learn and, hopefully, start their own brewhouse.  We will share our club's experiences in developing our physical space, the organizational and legal hurdle's we've encountered, and how our community has grown beyond just our lease. 

Detailed Description or an outline: 

A little over two years ago a group of homebrewers in Chicago, IL got together to remedy a very serious situation, their apartments weren't large enough to be able to brew easily and effectively.  We had the idea that if enough people got together then not only could we split the cost of the space itself, but we could share equipment and skills.  We have grown exponentially and today the Chicago Homebrew Alchemists of Sud (CHAOS) has over 100 active members (we've had to grow into bigger spaces twice!) and an operating budget of about $25,000/year.  CHAOS draws members from all over Chicago to get together and share equipment, recipes, techniques, as well as brew and ferment their beers. The purpose of this talk is to give others as much information as possible to help other clubs start this journey themselves and hope to create a dialog with others that have done something similar!  

• Background of CHAOS
  • Possible Organizational Structure
    • Board of Directors
    • Membership Levels
    • Roles and Skills that we have found helpful (Construction, Master Brewer, Tech Guy, Legal Advice, Party Czar, etc.)
  • Finding a Physical Brewhouse
    • All three of our homes (Starting out, a smaller space, and now a full commercial lease)
    • The benefits of a communal space and how we've used it.
    • Protecting the club (Insurance, Signed Brewer Agreements, 501c3 status)
  • Organizing our Brewhouse
    • Communal equipment vs Individual equipment
    • Areas that we've found useful (ferm room, keezer, lager chamber, etc.)
      • More formalization of space into ferm room, brew bays, etc.
      • Keeping it clean
      • Orgizaning volunteers
  • Building a community and not just a space
    • Non-brewing Members
    • Large Quarterly Events
    • Ongoing social events
    • Classes
    • Group Buys
    • Barrel Aging Programs

Target Audience: Homebrewers

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I am definitely going. Its my

I am definitely going. Its my hometown.

With Lucas's outline I bet we have a good shot at being a presenter. 

Wee cannot register our club yet for club night, but we definitely will. If people want to make something special (and high gravity) to serve they should start brewing it now.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
Looks great guys! Can't wait

Looks great guys! Can't wait for this years AHA Conference. This will be my 3rd one I have gone to! If you are on the fence on going just go. The AHA is a blast!

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
I am definately interested in

I am definately interested in attending and manning a CHAOS booth if we have one.

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
We will definitely have a

We will definitely have a booth for club night. We just need to watch the AHA website to see when to register.

Last year the booths were pretty impressive. I think we should definitely have some of our barrel aged beers on tap to showcase that part of the club.

We should start another thread for planning our booth at club nite.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Just a reminder that I'm

Just a reminder that I'm going to submit this tomorrow, if you have any additional thoughts please let us know by then!

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Submitted, we'll hear back in

Submitted, we'll hear back in a month or so. 

kengetty
kengetty's picture
Alchemist, member since
Club Night Info: http://www
JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Ill submit this tomorrow

Ill submit this tomorrow after I have had the chace to talk to a few other clubs on what an appropriate ammount of kegs would be to bring to the event. It asks this in the regestration.

Also, do you guys think we would need power?

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I feel like they have power

I feel like they have power available.  My agency had a conference here once and didn't need additional power sources.  Of course, we weren't brewing anything.   Maybe we would need extension cords.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
They are offering the option

They are offering the option of power. I am wondering if we think we would need it. Not sure if not requiring it would help us secure a spot

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
They have this awesome award

They have this awesome award called The Golden Urinel. It goes to the club that brings the most beer... And yeah let's request power...

Jer-Bear
Apprentice, member since
We have land about 30 to 40

We have land about 30 to 40 minutes north of the conference. We were thinking on having a kick-off party or inviting a bunch of people to camp a night or two before.

On a side note hotel rooms for event have rates and you can book them now.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Camping would be awesome!

Camping would be awesome! Maybe we should rent a van for the weekend?

Club night beers. I spoke to my friend who has helped organize the beer barros club stuff for AHA in the past. He said that the Golden Urnial has gone to clubs that have brough 100+ in the past few years. So I dont think that is something we want to go after. He said their stratagey is to bring 20-30 kegs of high quality stuff. How does that sound to everyone?

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
I'm in, I love camping. A

I'm in, I love camping. A shared van sounds great too. 

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Does anyone have feeling

Does anyone have feeling about number of Kegs? I would like to register us but have not gotten any feedback on this yet?

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
You suggested 20-30, so how

You suggested 20-30, so how about 25kegs? I'm in, for contributing too. 

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
I can certainly give a try to

I can certainly give a try to contribute as well.  I heard somewhere online that the golden urinal may have gone away, FYI.  Certainly not a reliable source, but another good reason for us to work on quality over quantity.

Also, haven't heard anything back about our talk submission.  The email I got upon submission said they'd get back to us by Wed. 

kengetty
kengetty's picture
Alchemist, member since
I think we might want to

I think we might want to reconsider changing the Summer quarterly event to this and try to find another fund raising tool for the quarter.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I would agree with not having

I would agree with not having a summer party and focusing on the AHA weekend. 

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
Let's shoot for 30 kegs. I

Let's shoot for 30 kegs. I would be up for brewing our Punk Rauch, Marshall Plan and my milder smoked jalapeño beer. I might even have my Occupied Berlin series ready as well...

Kyle
Kyle's picture
Are we also registering for

Are we also registering for Social Club? From what I can gather that is the main sessions during the weekend where clubs will be serving as well. Also do we need ot be individual AHA members to register to attend the NHC?

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
We did not register for

We did not register for social club. It has not really been discussed, but my opinion is we do that only if we dont get the presentation part.

Everyone will have to be AHA to attend this year. 

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
Club night is the big event.

Club night is the big event. Social club is just a conference room that runs all days...lots of staffing and beer. I'd say concentrate on club night.

lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
I got this earlier today,

I got this earlier today, they've extended their deadline for getting back to us on our submission:

Hello-

Thank you very much for submitting a proposal for this year’s National Homebrewers Conference in Grand Rapids, MI.

We have received a much larger pool of submissions than was previously expected. The AHA Governing Committee Conference Subcommittee and AHA Staff is hard at work examining the proposals to ensure that all submissions are thoroughly reviewed.

Approved seminars were originally to be announced to the confirmed speakers today. However, given the extensive material to review- we have extended this announcement. Confirmed speakers will be notified by no later than February 7th. Those seminars that were not approved will also be notified.

If your seminar is not approved, but you still wish to present to fellow homebrewers; please consider reviewing the 2014 AHA Rally schedule for an event in your area. Your presentation may be a valuable opportunity to educate homebrewers across the country with these regional AHA events.

Additional AHA Rallies will be added to the calendar as they are confirmed. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you so much for your patience. We are working diligently to ensure that Mashing in Michigan is the most memorable conference yet- and we could not do so without your help!

Cheers,

Matt Bolling

Events & Membership Coordinator

American Homebrewers Association

736 Pearl St |Boulder, CO, 80302

303.447.0816 ext 184
matt@brewersassociation.org

image007.png@01CE8471.B4D3E6C0fbimage009.jpg@01CE8471.B4D3E6C0

Help us keep our numbers straight! Fill our annual Brewing Industry Production Survey here: www.brewersassociation.org/BIPS

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Thanks Lucas. Fingers crossed

Thanks Lucas. Fingers crossed!

We are registered for club night. 30 kegs, power requested.

It is Friday, June 13
7:30 pm – 11:00 pm

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Great! Now, I just need to

Great! Now, I just need to learn how to Keg :) I'm planning on making my Oh So Hossa, Marionberry Belgian Tripel... Something tells me the Mitten folk may get the hockey reference, and it's a tasty strong beer. Can't wait!

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I dont see why we cant bring

I dont see why we cant bring bottles too

Kyle
Kyle's picture
If we are only allowed to

If we are only allowed to bring 30 kegs, maybe we should have a pre-NHC gathering where all possible entries are tasted and the top 30 are voted to be brought. Would ensure only our best efforts make the trip and are served.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Excellent idea Kyle. I was

Excellent idea Kyle. I was thinking the same thing. Focus on quality over quantity. 

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
OK, when should we schedule

OK, when should we schedule the tasteoff? Would that be close to the date or in the Spring? I also still want to learn how to keg, it's next on my list.

David
David's picture
Alchemist, member since
We should start another

We should start another thread to plan our booth. I guess knowing the layout and size of the area would be good. But we can brainstorm ways of doing the booth. Then lay it all out.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
Lets table this until after

Lets table this until after stout night and the next meeting. We probably need to form a comittee of some sort for this.

Kyle
Kyle's picture
Dave,

Dave,

Here is the info about booths listed on the NHC site.

• Set up and Tear down times are yet to be determined.
  • Ice is provided.
  • Participants have a 6′ table within a 10′ x 10′ booth space.
  • Please bring your own serving equipment, banners, costumes, tools, CO2, etc.
  • Cellar labels for your beer are required for any beer stored by the AHA Beer Services team. These should be available by May 1, 2014.
lucas
lucas's picture
Alchemist, member since
Sorry all, but looks like a

Sorry all, but looks like a talk isn't happening: 

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for the offer to participate as a speaker at the AHA National Homebrewers Conference in June this summer.

After an extensive review and voting process by the AHA Governing Committee Conference Subcommittee, the Grand Rapids Local Committee, and selected AHA Staff, your proposed seminar, Taking Your Club To The Next Level, A Community Brewhouse, has not been selected for the 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids.

We truly appreciate the time and effort you made to create and submit a proposal for the upcoming conference. Thank you very much! If you would still like to present your seminar, you can check out our schedule of AHA Rallies. Rallies are great venues to present educational seminars, as well as meet homebrewers interested in your research and knowledge!

There is still a chance that some of the confirmed speakers will not be able to present at the conference. If that happens, we will review submissions that were not confirmed and offer a seminar slot on a case-by-case basis.

Cheers,

Matt Bolling

Events & Membership Coordinator

American Homebrewers Association

736 Pearl St |Boulder, CO, 80302

303.447.0816 ext 184
matt@brewersassociation.org

image001.png@01CE8709.B96D3340image002.jpg@01CE8C79.E356A180image003.jpg@01CE8709.B96D3340

kengetty
kengetty's picture
Alchemist, member since
What?!?  ...I am stunned at

What?!?  ...I am stunned at this.

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
That is way too bad. Thanks

That is way too bad. Thanks for your effort on this Lucas. I was really hoping it would work out.

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
I'm so surprised too. They're

I'm so surprised too. They're missing out, it would have been a great seminar, very disappointing.

ChuckMac
ChuckMac's picture
Alchemist, member since
I blame those snoby old boy

I blame those snoby old boy clubs who are afraid of the future...

Kyle
Kyle's picture
BS, lets just rock everyone

BS, lets just rock everyone at Club Night and bring some kickass beers to get the word about CHAOS out there.

Kyle
Kyle's picture
I also saw registration for

I also saw registration for individuals opens later this month and will be a lottery system. Since our club is already registered to be at NHC do we get a certain number of "passes" or do all CHAOS members have to register and get tickets on their own?

MarkWalters
MarkWalters's picture
Alchemist, member since
I can't believe we didn't get

I can't believe we didn't get a seminar slot. Their loss...

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
That's freaking unbelievable.

That's freaking unbelievable.  Fuck it let's just do the seminar at our booth.