I believe your bin collapsed and broke (or broke and collapsed) several weeks ago when Jim and I were at the brew house. We swept up the grain and tossed the broken container. I apologize for not letting you know; by the time I got home after brewing I had forgotten about it. If you need any pils malt, let me know and we can work something out.
Back to the topic of this thread: we need another couple of batches, as Eric and Pete are unable to brew. Chuck, we will definitely need your batch if you're up for it. If anyone wants another 5 gallons, let me know.
I am willing to take the place of someone for this batch. Let me know and ill set up a day to brew this weekend.
Go for it! The Pils is in the larger of the two galvanized cans upstairs, and the remaining ingredients are in the hot box. Let me know if you have any questions.
thanks Adam! mystery solved.
There is no way I can brew this beer. Between birtday brews our up coming event and work I am just to swamped.
I brewed my batch yesterday. I hit 1.075 and a little abouve 5 gallons.
I couldnt find any more Aromatic, caramunich, bakingsoda in the hot box so I had to go pick some up along with the recomended 3 packs of trappist 3787 that I used to pitch.
I left the baking soda in the office, but I used the last of the Calcium Chloride.
How would you like to be paid for the ingredients.
Thanks for brewing! Sorry about the aromatic not being there. You can pay me via paypal or chase. $26, without the caramunich and aromatic.
If anyone steps up to brew any more batches, I'll make sure we have some more. For anyone else who ends up brewing this, the caramunich is still in the hot box; it's the grain in the partial 55 lb sack (the sack is mislabled). I believe we have been using James's baking soda, which is in his locker. Thanks for the heads up about the calcium chloride.
do we think the barreling is still happening?
We are definitely not enbarreling this beer on 6/30, as we are still 5 gallons short, and that's assuming that everyone has 5 gallons to put into the barrel. That's not outrageous, since the recipe calls for 5.5 gallons into the fermenter, but still not totally likely.
Josh, when you rack to secondary, please save your yeast cake. If nobody else steps up to brew this, I'll try to find time to brew it in the next couple of weeks so that we can finally get this thing in the barrel.
So my first batch is infected. I need to brew again and was just going to double it up. Trying to do it this week.
Will do with the yeast cake I was going to stop and take a reading tomorrow. I just put the second candy sugar in last friday.
I can also probably find time to brew this saturday if need be. Just let me know then I might be able to transfer and rack on top of my current batch.
I think it would be best to have extra, we will need some to top off the barrel as it evaporates.
OK. If both Josh S and Ken double up, that gives us 12 batches, which should be enough to fill the barrel. Depending on how long we age, we can brew another batch to top off the barrel after a couple of months.
There should be enough ingredients left at this point except aromatic for two more batches. If I stop by the bh, I'll double check what's left.
I just checked, and there's enough of all of the ingredients in the hot box for two more batches, including aromatic. The melanoidin is a bit short, so each of the next two batches can just use 6 oz instead of 8 oz.
Ken, if you do end up deciding to do 10 gallons, I have pils, munich, and caramunich that I can sell you, and you can just buy the remaining items at B&G.
Decision time, folks. With the upcoming move, we are definitely not going to enbarrel this beer prior to the end of August. Lots of folks' beer has been sitting in secondary since the spring. Do we want to can this particular barrel project, and try again with something else (or something similar) once we get into our new digs? Or do we want to hold on to our beers and put them in the barrel more or less as soon as we're moved into our new place?
I vote wait and barrel it, but I've already got a keg of belgian dark strong kicking around to tide me over...
If it doesn't affect the quality, I think we should wait and keg it.
I think we should wait. The beer will just oxidize some, which can be a good thing in this style
Adam are you still 10 gallons short? If so I am willing to brew that last bit.
Go for it, Chuck! The pils is upstairs in one of the galvanized cans, and the rest of the ingredients are in the hot box. As I said above, there's a bit less than a pound of melanoidin left, but plenty enough for it not to matter too much.
My batch is ready to rack to secondary so whoever wants my yeast let me know when you can brew and ill rack then.
I need it for the last 10 gallons.
Chuck ill wash my yeast cake and leave 2 jars for you in the white fridge.
Damn Josh thanks! I figured I'd do that myself! All I gotta do is a start.! Sweet!. By the by guys this 10 gallons is going to the club!
So im assuming that this project is scrapped for now as we dont have any usable barrels. Im going to bottle my share unless someone plans on purchasing another large format barrel. I hope that we can eventually do this one again.
It might be a good idea to sour it in the wine/flanders barrel which I believe is empty?
Im ok with that
Or rinse one of the bourbon barrels that cant be used for non sours add more bugs then put it in there it might get a small amount of bourbon and a nice sour flavor as well. Id like to keep the flanders barrel for another flanders.
Gaaa! I just bottled mine yesterday!
I think we should each bottle our own. We can come up with a separate sour recipe for one of the goose barrels if we want.
Check out the awesome brew house, cool people, informative classes, exciting events, and discounts around town. Join today!
Here are some of the places where members get discounts on supplies, ingredients, and brews. View All