03.05.17 - General Membership Meeting Minutes

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
03.05.17 - General Membership Meeting Minutes

Alchemist intros

Rob C., Jay G., Brandon K., all voted in unanimously. 

Reed R., 3 weeks short of year requirement. Stipulation changed to vote Reed in: "year commitment with exceptions to be considered by the board."

Reed R. confirmed as Alchemist. 

Congratulations, all!! 

It is again noted that Alchemists are voted in by the Board, not by fellow Alchemists. 

Updates

Grain purchase program - $1.25/lb C60, C120, Carapils. Grain is honor system. Cash, Paypal, IOU. 

Scale by kitchenette to weigh "upstairs" grain. 

Expand club purchase upstairs with refrig. stocked with dry yeast, Omega Yeast, hops. 

Vacuum upstairs if you see issues. 

Garage door

MIKE STRUCK HAS CHANGED THE CODE! HALLELUJAH

New club laptop

Matt O. has purchased laptop with Beersmith, possible future update to Beersmith premium. 

Cerveza update - Gowdy

Luchadore theme. Taco bar, churros, tamalaes Need PA, Americo contacting group for music?? 

Larger food budget. 

Carne Asada/Fajita vegetables. 

Churro truck?!!? Cost up front - no extra cost to partygoers. 

Beer-cheese soup from Reed? Nacho cheese? 

Raffle - 2 months out will be "go time." 

Raffle needs a post in forums 

Beerschool survey - should end tomorrow - 3/6/17. 

Entertainment

TBD. 

HomebrewCon

Livestream some brewing @ CHAOS to stream to booth

Rob C. driving

Bill/Julene driving

Nancy will coordinate FastRack if they are doing it. 

Elections

3 board seats coming up. 

Post nominations on forum. 3 year term. 

Dues are tax-deductible. 

3rd year as 501c3 organization

Nominations for executive board - Pres, VP, Secretary, Treas., Membership, Education

Life of the lease

Current occupancy ~3.5 years. 

Lease was initial 3 year term with additional 3 year options. 

We are currently in 1st year of first 3 year extension period w/ CPI. 

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
Thanks for posting these so

Thanks for posting these so promptly!

There had always been some back-and-forth about whether dues are tax deductible. Can someone with tax code/law knowledge confirm this (my wife an I itemize so I'll definitely itemize it if they are indeed tax-deductible).

Thanks!

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Jim, I am certain that our

Jim, I am reasonably sure that our membership dues are not tax deductible.  For them to be tax deductible, you would have to argue that you received "no goods or services in exchange for the gift" (this is the language the IRS uses.)  In our situation, full brewer membership dues get you access to the brewhouse and all the equipment.  The same is true for trial memberships - if you go to the parties, drink and eat, you can't take your membership as a charitable tax deduction.  

Now, if someone makes a gift to the club, above and beyond the membership, and didn't receive anything in compensation for it, that is tax deductible.  These gifts can be monetary or real, like equipment.  I'm happy to write a letter receipt for any gift like that.  

All that being said, we are a recognized not-for-profit, so if you listed a gift to us as a deduction, it would pass the first test for the IRS.  Most deductions don't get examined beyond that.  But, if the IRS choose to examine it more closely, I'm certain our membership dues would be disallowed.  

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Here's a simplified

Here's a simplified explanation:

Gifts to CHAOS are tax deductible, but membership dues aren't gifts as defined by the IRS.  

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
Okay. Thanks, Jim!

Okay. Thanks, Jim!