2017 National Homebrew Competition

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phil Woods
2017 National Homebrew Competition

Details for the 2017 Nat'l Homebrew Comp were posted recently for anyone who would be interested.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-co...

Any competition vets/award winners to drop knowledge about the whole workings of the competition?

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
So there are a few things

So there are a few things about the National Competition that make it different from a normal, homebrew competition. 

The first is that if you are mainly looking for good, objective feedback, this is not the competition for you. The NHC uses "check-box" style scoresheets in attempts to streamline the judging process and make it move quicker. Therefore, the actual amount of detail and feedback on the sheets is less than the normal BJCP-style judging form.

The second thing is that if you truly believe you have a great beer, be advised that they may not (and probably won't, if in the Chicago region) get judged until about 1 month after you have sent them in. Obviously for some styles this isn't an issue, but for fresher/hoppier styles, you really must be on-point in your brewing, conditioning/packaging timeline for the best results. Chicago judging has historically been around the second week of April. Looking ahead, I would anticipate judging to take place the weekend of the 8th for 2017.

The third is the cost. You must be an AHA member to register (~$38/year) and then each entry is something like $15. It's expensive and even more so if you are needing to ship your beers.

The fourth is that if you place 1-3 in your category, you will have to re-submit entries for the final round in MN this next year. That means that if your exceptional hoppy beer places, then you will probably want to rebrew it to ensure it's at its peak for the final round. Conversely, if you entered your perfectly aged Barleywine that placed, you better have 3 more bottles a) lying around and b) you're willing to part with to send off to the final round. 

All of that said, the Chicago region is an extremely well-run competition. Joe Formanek (2-time Ninkasi winner, Sam Adams Longshot winner, BJCP National judge, and all around awesome dude) has run the competition for as long as I've been in the Chicago area (~5 years) and has a great organizational system down. Here in Chicago the judging pool is robust with higher level judges, and it attracts even more higher level judges that travel in for the competition. Depite the limited room for feedback on the sheets, you should be confident that what you receive back is of high quality. 

And of course, even if you don't enter and have the time, volunteers are always needed either to steward (helping organize and bring out the entries to the judges, and organize the scoresheets/coversheets/flight summary sheets) or judge, if you're so inclined. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Our forums need some kind of

Our forums need some kind of like button because that was a whole lot of good info. Thanks Kyle!

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I agree with Brock, thanks

I agree with Brock, thanks for breaking that down for everyone!! 

Phil Woods
Excellent info! I've yet to

Excellent info! I've yet to enter a competition so I guess checkbox style wouldn't be best for me for feedback, but I've heard stewarding is a great experience. Cheers!

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Instead of jumping in and

Instead of jumping in and entering the National competition straight away, I'd suggest entering some local competitions first.  CHAOS has its club competition in February, the Chicago Winterbrew competition is in January, and Drunk Monk and the Chicago Cup are coming up this spring - all great opportunities to enter your beer, maybe win a ribbon, and get high quality feedback.  

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
I echo Jim's thoughts and

I echo Jim's thoughts and meant to provide those details! Thanks, Jim! The Chicago area generally has a great "ramp"-up to the National competition with Winterbrew, Drunk Monk, and Charlie Orr all basically staggered in the preceding weeks. Midwinter is held in Milwaukee in February and also a great comp (which I hope to travel to again this year if anyone else is interested in carpooling/splitting a hotel room). 

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Here's the link for

Here's the link for Winterbrew, which is coming up in January:

http://winterbrew.squarekegshomebrew.com/