CHAOS Oktoberfest 2016

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
CHAOS Oktoberfest 2016

Is the date final? Oct. 8 is a horrible date to have a party in Chicago... the day before the Chicago Marathon and the same weekend as GABF in Denver? Most breweries and hard-core craft beer drinkers will not be in town... They'll be in Denver. If you want better attendance you should consider changing the date.

brockboland
brockboland's picture
The event has been on the

The event has been on the calendar for nearly three months and the planning thread has been going longer than that, so I suspect it's pretty final.

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Well, I had it on my calendar

Well, I had it on my calendar for Oct. 22, so somewhere along the way someone decided to change it... Mid year. I think it's a bad idea to put forth so much energy on an event that limits the attendees actually attending. Before selecting a date moving forward... other major events should be factored in that have a huge impact on the success of a party... Otherwise what's the point? 

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
And it's still over 5 weeks

And it's still over 5 weeks out... So it could still be changed/pushed out if the desire was to have more people and breweries attend. I suspect like every year, most brewery employees will be in Denver that weekend at GABF. 

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
Looking at the notes from the

Looking at the notes from the 2016 Board Retreat, they've got the fall event on October 9th [sic].

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Instead of auguring that the

Instead of auguring that the date has been set, you should be assessing whether or not the date you selected was the best one. Good luck with attendance and getting breweries to show up.  

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Kinda wish these conflicts

Kinda wish these conflicts had been raised months ago when the date was picked.

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
It kinda still can be address

It kinda still can be address now. If anyone wants to address it. Why is everyone acting like the party is next week? There hasn't even been any marketing materials developed for it yet. What's the problem with brining it up now when it's 6 weeks away?

krisblouch
krisblouch's picture
I want to address it. Let's

I want to address it. Let's do a poll. If we pushed it back a bit, (did someone say 22nd?) I think we could also add more time for those who want to brew that last minute lager.

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Did anybody talk to the guys

Did anybody talk to the guys organizing this before taking a poll to move it?

krisblouch
krisblouch's picture
I'm confused by this, no

I'm confused by this, no permissions are needed to take a poll.

It's just information gathering... useful information for anyone to review. There are no downsides to it.

I've also been one of the most active memebers in the ocktoberfest planning thread from the begining (and was part of the private email chain that floated around before it was even announced on the forums).

I'm so confused by the push back on this on; we need to support a "get stuff done" attitude not question it. Feels really bad guys. Makes me wish I'd just continued not helping out. 

Also, yes I did check, literally was emailed and empowerd to step up and "drive"...

johngammal
Alchemist, member since
Kris, no body is saying

Kris, no body is saying information gathering is bad. It's just confusing because the people planning it are planning it already. You've helped with a bunch of parties (and tear down) and know the work involved.  And you are right, permission is not needed to post things or take a poll, but this poll is just confusing b/c for a long time the date, whether it's perfect or not, has been set. Thank you very much for trying to help, but all this energy can be put into more productive tasks. As you saw, Reed is out of town one of the dates and I'm planing a bus trip on another one. It's my fault that I didn't put the bus trip on the calendar, but there were no conflicts so I didn't see an immediate need. I'll add it now.  Nancy, there are always a million events going on, in Denver and here. Are you telling me CHAOS can't compete!  I'm catching up to all these threads now, but let's remember that we are all here to celebrate beer and community. 

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
No you can not compete with

No you can not compete with the marathon or GABF, sorry. There are a lot of events that people make choices on... but drinking the day before the marathon is not one of them nor is a brewery attending a CHAOS event over GABF. Good luck guys!

Boollish
Boollish's picture
Alchemist, member since
Nancy, what do you expect the

Nancy, what do you expect the impact of gabf and the marathon will be on the attendance to the party? Vague threats about our inability to compete with gabf (although I'm not sure those people would come the next week either unless they were suicidal) and the marathon are not really constructive. Do you think we're missing out on 5 people? 10 people? 50 people?

We did ok last year with a muddy outdoor event in the cold in Halloween night against hundreds of other warmer, more 'hip' costume contests and house parties,

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Its not a threat at all, it's

Its not a threat at all, it's a fact. Of all the dates to pick in Oct., that's the one that date that limits the majority of people that could or would want to participate. If you want to proceed with that date, it's certainly a choice, but one that limits attendance. Which is what I've been saying from the begining. I think it's kinda crazy that you're not willing to factor that in when attempting to plan a sucessful party. But it doesn't seem like you want to even consider evaluating a change, so that's your choice and I wish you guys the best of luck!

Boollish
Boollish's picture
Alchemist, member since
Nancy, we are willing to take

Nancy, we are willing to take it under advisement.

But you use the phrase "limits the majority of people that could or would want to participate" as if it's a fact, and I have a hard time seeing that to be the case. What, in your mind, constitutes "majority"? WIthin the scope of Oktoberfest, that's like 100 people. 

If you come back with "I know 100 people who for sure would attend, but now can't", that creates a cause of reconsideration. But as of right now, I could with equal validity say "people willing to drop $2000 for GABF are not the core demographic for Chaos parties, and everyone we expect to show up, will show up".

But in any case, the solution to this is quite simple. How many people do you thiink we are losing on the date? And under the assumption that some (and I would argue all) GABF-gers are unwilling to go to another drinking event after a 7 day bender that likely includes more than just alcohol, how many of those people are we likely to get back the next week?

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Why are we still talking

Why are we still talking about this?
Good luck with your event!

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
I pulled out of the Marathon

I pulled out of the Marathon to attend this year, so don't worry about me guys.  

johngammal
Alchemist, member since
And even though I will

And even though I will honestly be in Denver the weekend of this party, in solidarity, I will not attend GABF. I can't believe those assholes are having it during our Octoberfest. Good luck to them

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
I don't need luck... they are

I don't need luck... they are already sold out.
https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Yo, who is going to wear

Yo, who is going to wear those leather overalls party shorts or one of those dirndl party skirts? 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-k...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-k...

brockboland
brockboland's picture
I've still got the outfit I

I've still got the outfit I wore for Brocktoberfest last year and those shorts are…not flattering.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
I'll see what I can do...

I'll see what I can do...

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
Pretty sure it would be

Pretty sure it would be awesome if you guys rolled in with the leather shorts

Boollish
Boollish's picture
Alchemist, member since
I've caught a glimpse of

I've caught a glimpse of Icehouse's planned outfit, and let me tell you guys...

Has anyone ever seen Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS?

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
Dude, that's my S&CN costume

Dude, that's my S&CN costume