HOP SCHOOL 2015 Cerveza De Mayo

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing as Chris about moving it outside.  Once people are at the bar they tend to stay there, thus making it difficult for others to get to the front and try the beers.  I noticed this at Stout night in paricular. 

Also March 22nd is the day after our beer bus tour, just an FYI.  Could we maybe do it on Friday the 20th, maybe with a little bottle share.

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

americo
Alchemist, member since
Hey guys,

Hey guys,

I like all the ideas brought up especially the laminated menus, the flights and the part of partial or entirely moving it outside. The only thing I would like to add is that it should be advertised more on the Facebook page or at the brew house the day of the party. In the last two events I volunteered at the keezer and always suggested new members try one of our "Schools" and for the most part they thought it was just another station rather than a comparison of beers with one variable ingredient. They usually love that idea and head over there or just wait because it is often crowded with people. Just my two cents.

Grizwald
Grizwald's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Sorry guys, you can take me

Sorry guys, you can take me off of the hop school brewing list.  I could have sworn the calendar said the event was may 2nd, but now it says may 9th.  Thats mother's day and I will be out of town.

americo
Alchemist, member since
It was May 2nd but the date

It was May 2nd but the date was moved to the 9th.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Those of you who want to

Those of you who want to bartend at the Hop School serving station, please post to this forum, then go ahead and signup for a bartending slot, and I'll be sure to assign you.  Be sure to check the forum, so that you don't sign up for the same time slots.  I agree that it would be a good idea to have more than one bartender, which provides an opportunity for discussing the hops, but we may not have enough volunteers to do this.  If we do, I will add additional bartenders.

I like the idea of this being outside, as well.  I will consider this when planning the party layout.

Joe, the octo-barrel has been relieved of its mortal coil and is no longer at the brewhouse.  Well, pieces of it are.....

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'll sign up for a couple of

I'll sign up for a couple of bartending slots - both at the hop school would be great, but wherever needed is fine.   

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
I sent a follow-up note to

I sent a follow-up note to John, having not heard back from him since our phone call.  He had a death in his extended family and has been out of the shop.  He said he would get the hops in the mail to us on Monday, which means they should be here by the end of next week.  

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Thanks Jim!

Thanks Jim!

Also, there is a section on the beer list for Hop School.  Everyone participating, please sign up.  (Jim I moved your entry into that section, so you're good.)

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
I received the hops from John

I received the hops from John at Farmhouse Brewing Supply today, for our Hop School!  We asked for 6 ounces each of eight different hops, and he sent eight ounces of each because of the way he packages (four ounces per package).  So, Joe, if you want to adjust the group’s recipe to account for eight ounces, that’s fine, or the brewers could just keep two ounces for another future batch.  

Here are the eight hop varieties Farmhouse sent us:

Ahtanum
USA
4.4% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description: Very citrusy with fruity and floral tones. Some spicy notes. Good for aroma and flavoring.  Use in American Ales

From Hop Union: AHTANUM™(BRAND YCR 1 CV.), Open pollination. Developed by Select Botanicals, Floral, earthy, citrus and grapefruit tones. Used for its aromatic properties and moderate bittering qualities

Hallertau Blanc
Germany
7.3% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description:  Floral and fruity with passion fruit, grapefruit, pineapple, grape and lemongrass overtones Use in: American-style Ale

From Hop Union:  Pedigree is Daughter of Cascade; Floral and fruity with passion fruit, grapefruit, pineapple, grape and lemongrass overtones; Released in 2012; One of several new German varieties with bold flavor profiles, perfect for American-style Ales

Jarrylo
USA
13.9% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description:  The pronunciation is Yar-i-lo. Also known as ADHA 881.  Pear, orange, spicy, fruity

From Ninkasi Brewing’s site: Developed in Yakima Valley, Washington by Roy Farms, Jarrylo, also known as experimental hop ADHA881, is a dual-purpose hop used for aroma and flavor. Pronounced Yar-i-lo, this hop is named after the Russian God of fertility. Paired with a crisp Pilsner malt base, this single hop beer highlights the pear, orange, spicy and, fruity notes of the hop.

Lemon Drop
USA
4.4% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description:  Big herbal, blackberry, “Super Cascade”, grassy, citrusy, lemon, citrus, pine,tobacco, licorice, orange, grapefruit, pepper.

From Hopsteiner:  Aroma-type hop, originated from a cross between Cascade and USDA 19058 male.  Lemon, Mint, Green Tea, Slight Melon.  

Palisade
USA
8.8% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description:  Aroma hop. Apricot(fruity)-grassy. Smooth character.  Use in: American Pale Ale, IPA.

From Hop Union:  PALISADE®(BRAND YCR 4 CV.); Tettnang parentage; Apricot, grass and clean floral charcteristics; Possible Substitutions = Willamette; Typical Beer Styles = English-style Ale; Cultivar bred by Yakima Chief Ranches; Used for its aromatic properties and moderate bittering qualities

Rakau
New Zealand
10.0% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description:  Rakau is a very pleasant hop throughout the selection process due to its inherent intensity of aromas lifted through a heavy weight of oils and medium alpha. Resinous pine needle.

From Hop Union:  Fresh orchard fruits, specifically apricot with some resinous pine needle characteristics are noted; Released from the New Zealand Hop breeding program; Well suited for new world styles where brash fruity character and big, but well-constructed bitterness is desired

Smargd
Germany
4.4% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description:  Predominantly fruity with strong floral and hop tones.  A fine aroma variety with high bittering value. Use in:  German Ales, Saison, Wit, and Wheats

From Hop Union:  GERMAN SMARAGD (EMERALD); Daughter of Hallertau Gold; Predominantly fruity with strong floral and hop tones; Formerly known as Emerald; A fine aroma variety with high bittering value

Triskel
France
3.1% Alpha Acid

Farmhouse’s Description:  Strong floral, fruit and citrus characteristics

From Hop Union:  A cross between Strisselspalt and the male plant of the English hop variety of Yeoman; Strong floral, fruit and citrus characteristics; Typical Beer Styles = Belgian-style Ales; Developed in 2006; Contains many of the same characteristics as Strisselspalt, but with a more pronounced flavor profile

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I want the Jarrylo!

I want the Jarrylo!

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
According to Joe's post above

According to Joe's post above, the following are the eight brewers for this project:

Ktownsel
Americo
Jeff W
Jim V
Canuck
Griswold
Chris H & Zach B
Ice House & boolish

Let me know how you want to address the hand-off of hops to each of you.  If it helps, Sunday (3/22) I'll be at the brewhouse from 2pm - 7pm if you want to stop by then.  Otherwise, contact me and we'll make arrangements.  

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
You got it, Jeff!

You got it, Jeff!

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Hells yeah!!  

Hells yeah!!  

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'll take Rakau

I'll take Rakau

ktownsel
ktownsel's picture
I'll take the lemon drop!

I'll take the lemon drop!

americo
Alchemist, member since
If its not taken, I'll take

If its not taken, I'll take Pallisade

joefalck
joefalck's picture
This is great!  Those are

This is great!  Those are some amazing varieties, im real excited to smell and taste all of these.  Jim, i think leaving them in the freezer in a clearly labelled bag would be a good solution for those that can't meet you to pick them up.

As far as the good fortune to have an overage of hops, with 2 extra ounces, I'll put it up for debate, but i'd like to see an extra ounce and a half added to the dry hop amount to really make those aromas sing, and then the remaining half ounce in a dish at serving time for people to be able to see and smell.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
We still need to nail down

We still need to nail down the hopping schedule for the beer,  grain bill, mash schedule, etc. was previously mentioned in the thread.  here are my thoughts:

1 oz at 60 minutes
1/4 oz at 30
Whatever amount at 15 minutes you need to reach 65 ibus with your specific hop given the previous two additions
1 1/2 oz at flameout
Remainder dry hop for exactly 5 days, no more, no less. Preferably dry hop as close to party time as possible for maximum freshness.

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Joe, those are great

Joe, those are great suggestions!  I'll bag and label the hops (with the brewer's name and hop variety) and leave them in the freezer.  And increasing the dry hops and saving some for smelling at the Hop School makes a ton of sense - fantastic!

As for the hop schedule, it looks good to me.   Do we have a grain bill and yeast selected?  

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Here's the hops/brewers

Here's the hops/brewers roster so far.  I'll be at the brewhouse tomorrow (Sunday afternoon) from 2-6ish, if you want to pick them up then, otherwise they will be in the freezer with your names on them.  

Ahtanum 

Hallertau Blanc - Jim Vondracek  

Jarrylo - Jeff Whelpley

Lemon Drop - Kenneth Townsel

Palisades- Americo Anchoa

Rakau - Bill Sansom

Smargd

Triskel

Griswold, Christ H & Zach B., and Ice House & Boolish, let me know your preferences.  Any hops that haven't been spoken for by the time I leave the brewhouse tomorrow evening, I'll assign in a random kind of way.  

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
I would really argue to forgo

I would really argue to forgo using the featured hop at 60 minutes. Maybe have a buy on some extract (I bought a can of this: http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/CO2HOPExtractCan_p/extractco2cans.htm a bit ago and have used it pretty exclusively - it's great stuff and very nice to cut down on the vegetal matter in the boil) or a neutral variety (Magnum, Warrior).

1 oz of a 13.9% aa versus 1 oz of a 3.1% are going to be very different, and not in a way that I think is conducive to this hop school. 

Adjusting the bitterness accordingly, and you'll be using a lot of the 3.1%, which may not leave enough left over for the other quanitites needed later in the brew process.

Just my $0.02 

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I agree with Kyle about the

I agree with Kyle about the bittering hops.  It would certainly help with keeping the bitterness levels even, so we can showcase the hops.  We used Magnum for the yeast and grain schools.  I've never used the extract, but am game for using it.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
I'm gonna argue for using the

I'm gonna argue for using the featured hop.  While I don't discount the extract idea is a great one and would result in perhaps slightly superior and more even beers compared to using the featured hop as the primary bittering agent, one of the purposes of Hop School is to showcase to brewers what each of these hops can do, and bittering is part of that component.  We don't want to dress up the hops, we want to show them in all their naked glory, and the type of bitterness they bring to the game is part of that.  The reason I suggest a 60, 30, 15, flameout addition, and dry hop is to help "unwrap" the hop, as it were, and showcase all of the flavors and bitterness you get out of that hop.  With that schedule we can pulll out just about every flavor that it has, short of doing continuous additions.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
i think using extract has the

i think using extract has the potential to be its own school in the future, great idea.  thats kind of a new frontier,

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Hop School: Mosaic

Hop School: Mosaic

American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.62 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 15 Mar 2014
Brewer: Joe Falck
Asst Brewer: 
Equipment: Chaos Brewhouse
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.8 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes: 

Prepare for Brewing

• Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
  • Total Water Needed: 8.72 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 96.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.0 %
Mash Steps Name
Description
Step Temperature
Step Time
Mash In Add 17.23 qt of water at 158.0 F 148.0 F 75 min
  • Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.80gal, 3.61gal) of 168.0 F water
  • Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.82 gal
  • Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.052 SG
Boil Ingredients Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
0.75 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 31.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 8.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 5.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 3.8 IBUs
1.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
  • Estimated Post Boil Vol: 5.62 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.065 SG

Cool and Transfer Wort

• Cool wort to fermentation temperature
  • Transfer wort to fermenter
  • Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal

Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume

• Measure Actual Original Gravity _______     (Target: 1.065 SG)
  • Measure Actual Batch Volume _______     (Target: 5.00 gal)
  • Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal

Fermentation

• 15 Mar 2014 - Primary Fermentation (4.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F) 
  • 19 Mar 2014 - Secondary Fermentation (10.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F) 

Dry Hop and Bottle/Keg

• Measure Final Gravity: _________  (Estimate: 1.013 SG)
  • Date Bottled/Kegged: 29 Mar 2014 - Carbonation: Bottle with 3.93 oz Corn Sugar
  • Age beer for 30.00 days at 65.0 F
  • 28 Apr 2014 - Drink and enjoy!
joefalck
joefalck's picture
that was the recipe from last

that was the recipe from last year, obviously the hop additions are still being debated, but as far as mash and grain go, this'll do

joefalck
joefalck's picture
yeast, us05 will do, unless

yeast, us05 will do, unless we want to get fancy and do the omega ipa strain or something.  05 is nuetral and best for our purposes i think.

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Recipe and targets look good,

Recipe and targets look good, Joe.  We need to get going on brewing, if we're going to get these done, we're down to six weeks.  Say it takes a couple of weeks for everyone to get these brewed, two weeks for fermentation, and two weeks for packaging and carbing - that's it, six weeks.  

Your hopping regime looks fine to me, Joe, with individual brewers needing to show some judgement in how to do the bittering (60), flavor (30) and aroma (flameout) additions for hops that range from 3% to nearly 14% alpha acids.  Setting a target of 65 IBUs makes sense, as along as brewers of the lower AA hops make sure they have enough hops in the later additions to show off flavor and aroma.  I haven't run the numbers, but the lower alpha acid hop brewers may need to skew low on the total IBUs in order to get enough flavor and aroma additions in.  But I trust that brewers can show good brewing judgment and the comparisons between the hops' bittering, flavor and aroma characteristics will be interesting.  

Hops are bagged and labeled and will be in the freezer this afternoon.  

Everyone set?  Can we start brewing?

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
(No subject)

americo
Alchemist, member since
Hey guys, I am thinking about

Hey guys, I am thinking about brewing in the next week or week and a half. I am going to assume we agreee on Joe's (excellent) recipe and the use of us05 yeast. I did have a few questions about the hop schedule and the amounts we use. I believe in one of the comments it was stated that we shoudl reach an IBU of 64. The Palisade hops I received are at 8.8% and using Brewers Friend, I was able to reach 63.87 IBUs but had to alter my hop schedule to

1.25 oz @ 60 minutes

.50 @ 30 minutes

.50 @ 15 minutes

.25 @ 10 minutes

1.25 @ flame out

1.50 Dry Hop

Total amount used: 5.25 Oz.

Can anyone give me some feed back on the adjustment? Also, where should I leave the (2.75 oz) unused hops?  The other question I had was whether we are kegging/bottling the beer or is it just personal preference?

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
I think using 3 ounces for

I think using 3 ounces for dry hopping would be good, to emphasize the hops aroma characteristics.  

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Americo, that looks great. I

Americo, that looks great. I think the official party line should be use a 60/30/15/flameout to get to 65 IBUs, use the remainder for dry hopping. I see you used a 10 min addition too, see what happens if you mere that with the 15 min, that'll give you an extra ibu or two and help promote consistency. Or not, that's cool too, it won't make that much of a difference either way. Whatever you do, just use the remainder for dry hopping.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
65 IBU's is the goal, but

65 IBU's is the goal, but make it easy on yourself, if your +/- a few in either direction that's within the range of perception.  No need to be measuring out .0063 oz of hops 

At 7.267 minutes or some other silliness like that to hit 65 exact.

americo
Alchemist, member since
Thanks guys, i will make teh

Thanks guys, i will make teh adjustments. Also, should I save some of the hops in order to have "demonstration" hops at the party in order for people to smell them while drinking the beer?

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
Ok so I've got the following

Ok so I've got the following for Rakau nad puts me at 64.8 IBUs according to BeerSmith.  Planning on brewing on April 2nd.

1.25oz @ 60min

.50oz @ 30min

.75oz @ 15min

1.25oz @ 0min

Dry hop with 2.00

I believe that leaves .5oz unused for people to smell.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for catching it. Dry hop the remainder, EXCEPT save a half ounce for sensory purposes. Seal them up in a ziplock or something in the freezer.

americo
Alchemist, member since
Cool, thanks guys!

Cool, thanks guys!

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Reminder that you've got 8

Reminder that you've got 8 ounces of hops to work with, not the original six we talked about.  

ktownsel
ktownsel's picture
Joe how are we dispensing the

Joe how are we dispensing the beer? I know you mentioned kegging, and I don't keg, so I would need some help with that.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'm bottling.

I'm bottling.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
I was hoping for kegs, based

I was hoping for kegs, based solely on the idea that an IPA will remain freshest in a keg as opposed to bottles, but the turn around time is so short on this it probably won't make a huge difference either way.  Do whatever is easiest.  If you want to keg, im sure we can rustle some up.

americo
Alchemist, member since
I will bottle it as well

I will bottle it as well

Zach Burns
Zach Burns's picture
Chris and I are coordinating

Chris and I are coordinating our brew now. Is it the case that Ahtanum, Smargd, and Triskel are left? I'm Tryina BeerSmith this bad boy before I Brew & Grow.

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Yes, Zach.   Here's the

Yes, Zach.   Here's the responses people gave before I labeled and put the hops in the freezer at the brewhouse on Sunday:

Ahtanum 

Hallertau Blanc - Jim Vondracek  

Jarrylo - Jeff Whelpley

Lemon Drop - Kenneth Townsel

Palisades- Americo Anchoa

Rakau - Bill Sansom

Smargd

Triskel

So, there are packages for hops with Jeff's, Ken's, Americo's and Bill's name on them.  The other six packages (two four ounce packages of each hop variety) don't have anyone's name on them, you can pick out/up whatever you'd like.  

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
Boolish and I put our names

Boolish and I put our names on the pack of Triskel and plan to brew the batch either this weekend or early next week.

Chris Heyman
Chris Heyman's picture
Alchemist, member since
Zach and I will take the

Zach and I will take the Triskel! Thanks!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.

- Dave Berry

Zach Burns
Zach Burns's picture
OK then I suppose we will

OK then I suppose we will take Ahtanum!

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
What timing!, It doesn't

What timing!, It doesn't matter to us really. If you guys want to use the Triskel, def go for it, We just want to brew some beer and decided to pick a pack ahead of time. The decision to select the Triskel was made arbitrarily. 

Zach Burns
Zach Burns's picture
Solid, we'll snake Triskel

Solid, we'll snake Triskel then. Which comes with a mystery: the package said 3.1% AA, Farmhouse website says 3.3% AA, and HopUnion puts the range at ... 8-9%. That's a big difference. Anyone have more info on this?

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Go by the package, those

Go by the package, those measurements are specific to that crop that made it in the bag, the others are just estimates. Similar to wine grapes that show variation from one plot of land to the next and year to year, hops will vary slightly as well, so they label the bags with the info from that specific crop so you can alter your additions for consistency.

Pages