HOP SCHOOL 2015 Cerveza De Mayo

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zach Burns
Zach Burns's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
Thanks, I'll go with the 3.1%

Thanks, I'll go with the 3.1% on the package.

To that point, can we use another hop for the 60 minute addition to bitter? (maybe Warrior?) With 3.1 AA, we're looking at the 60/30/15 additions of 2.5oz/2.5oz/2oz just to get to 65 IBU (which leaves .5oz for dry-hopping, which seems like a major component of the exercise). 

ktownsel
ktownsel's picture
I thought Magnum was

I thought Magnum was mentioned earlier in the thread to be used as a bittering hop? I'm using Lemon Drop which has a AA of 4.4. That leaves me about an oz to drophop with.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Do whatever you need to to

Do whatever you need to to get to 65ish except for use other hops. No other hops. No hops besides the hops issued to you please. Use only those hops. The point is not necessarily to make the best possible beer with the hop, however all these beers will be good, the point is to showcase an honest comparison of the hops, as soon as other hops enter the picture then things get murky as far as being able to compare them objectively, Zach just a quick estimation you can do a 60 minute of like 5oz. Then .5 at 30/15 that should get you there an leave you with an ounce and a half for dry hopping. That's respectable.

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'm brewing up my batch of

I'm brewing up my batch of Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale tomorrow morning - woot!  

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
That sounds like and

That sounds like and interesting hop, I'm looking forward to trying it!  

Me and Ken T are brewing our batches this afternoon.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
As you guys get going on this

As you guys get going on this, please enter your beer in the Hop School section of the beer list.  There's a Hop School section. Thanks!!

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
As you guys get going on this

As you guys get going on this, please enter your beer in the Hop School section of the beer list.  There's a Hop School section. Thanks!!

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Hi CHAOSers, just a quick

Hi CHAOSers, just a quick check-in on the status of the Hop School brews - everyone brewed?  

Bill, Jeff, Rob, Ken and me have signed our hop school beers into the Cerveza de Mayo beer sheet   If you've brewed, Americo, Chris and Zach, go ahead and sign your beer in on the sheet.  If you've not brewed, let me know asap please - we're down to four weeks.  

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Everyone is on track as far

Everyone is on track as far as I know, no one has told me differently.  Hope to see everyone at the meeting tonight.

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
One idea bounced around

One idea bounced around earlier was to have some laminated mats for the Hop School.  I put together drafts of two.  They are also a way to appropriately recognize Farmhouse Brewing Supplies' sponsorship of the Hop School. 

The first has a grid of 8 squares, one for each beer/hop, describing the hop.  The idea was that somone could look through the grid before ordering, or if someone wanted to try three of the hops, the bartender could put each beer on the grid square for that particular hop.

The second is a more general sheet about hops and brewing, for those who don't know much or anything about hops.  

These are just drafts, meant to encourage conversation.  Suggestions and edits are welcome.  

Joe, you had suggested earlier that we also do posters, which I think is a great idea.  

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Nancy and I are working on

Nancy and I are working on the posters and signage for the Hop School, I will let her know about your designs.  The mat looks great! Thanks!  The info sheet looks great too, a lot of it has been covered in work we already have done, but we can see if there is anything we missed or need to add.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
This thread is deep and

This thread is deep and starting to get murky, Zach and Chris are you brewing Ahtanum?  It appears so, hopefully you will be brewing soon.  Let me know if not, because we need to get someone brewing Ahtanum this week.

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
I brewed the smargmad on the

I brewed the smargmad on the 4th.  

kengetty
kengetty's picture
Alchemist, member since
Joe...Chris and Zach brewed

Joe...Chris and Zach brewed last Monday and I thought it was Ahtanum they were using.

americo
Alchemist, member since
Hey guys, sorry for the late

Hey guys, sorry for the late response. I brewer the last week of March and I left my hops in the fridge for safe keeping. I should dry hop them this week and bottle by next week.

Zach Burns
Zach Burns's picture
So Chris and I did the

So Chris and I did the Triskel. Do we still have one hop left to brew?

americo
Alchemist, member since
Hey Joe, just had a follow up

Hey Joe, just had a follow up question about teh dry hopping above. I thinking about dry hopping this up coming week and then bottling right away. Would this leave enough tiome for the dry hop freshness you mention above or should I wait until next weekend to dry hop.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Americo, you want to dry hop

Americo, you want to dry hop for five days, then bottle. In order for the carbonation to be at the correct level, you should dry hop today or tomorrow. And that's cutting it close.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Jeff is Correct.  I might

Jeff is Correct.  I might have an extra keg you can use if it comes down to it.  Right now I have Zach and Jeff using my kegs, I can see if I can rustle up another.

Zach Burns
Zach Burns's picture
So I'm nearly 100% sure that

So I'm nearly 100% sure that Chris was using his personal keg on ours, so maybe that solves things. Chris, let us know if I'm mistaken.

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
I think I'm kegging, with a

I think I'm kegging, with a pin lock (I have some extra pin lock connectors for the lines, I think, if needed).  

americo
Alchemist, member since
Thanks for the offer Joe but

Thanks for the offer Joe but i think I may have a keg soon. The only question i woudl have would be what do you think the recommended PSI would be for the beer while carbing?

askchucky
I'm late to the party. I was

I'm late to the party. I was a last minute replacement for the Ahtanum  hops.  This was a 4.4%.  Wondering for the other brewers with low AA, at what point in the boil did you add most of your hops to come close to 65IBU?  I played with the calculator as much as I could and 1) Had to use a lot of hops, left with about 1.25oz for dryhop 2) I had to go big on the 30 and 15 min additions.  Wondering what everyone else found.

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Americo, it all depends on

Americo, it all depends on the temperature you're storing at.  Check this attached chart, it gives you the correct amount of Volumes for your style and the pressure you need to achieve that at any given temperature.  I'm a fan of carbing at serving pressure which the chart indicates.  It takes a little longer, up to a week or two, but I appreciate the precision and that it's a "set it and forget it" type thing.  If for whatever reason your beer isn't carbed enough by the event, then we resort to Chuck's Tricks, which includes hitting it with about 40-50 psi and shaking the shit out it for a few minutes, among a few others.  Works best when it's cold.  That's certainly not the preferred method, but we can carb things in a matter of minutes if absolutely necessary.        http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
For what its worth, I've

For what its worth, I've become a fan of priming beer in the keg and carbing it that way.  Its kind of like the 'set it and forget it' method you prefer, Joe, in that I prime, keg, put the keg aside and don't have to think about it again until I'm ready to tap it.  The first glass poured usually gets tossed because of a little sediment.  

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Just checking in, how's

Just checking in, how's everyone doing?  How're the beers?  Any questions, concerns?    We should all be either dry-hopping and/or packaging the beers very soon.  How close did folks get with the numbers?  Also, thanks for all the hard work, The school series is a lot of fun, and very helpful and illuminating because we can compare a lot more ingredients together than if we set out to brew 8 beers to compare by ourselves.  I really appreciate everything everyone does for this, especially Nancy with her signage for us and Jim V. for pulling through with the sponsorship.  I can't wait to talk hops at Cerveza and taste all these, then it will all be worth it.  

americo
Alchemist, member since
Hey,

Hey,

I am right in the middle of dry hopping. I am kegging this Saturday. Thankeveryone for pulilng this off. This is my firsts chool and it was great. i can't wait to taste the beers.

ktownsel
ktownsel's picture
Bottled last Friday, beer is

Bottled last Friday, beer is in the fermroom.    OG =1.068, FG=1.012.

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
Plan on dry hopping on the

Plan on dry hopping on the 30th then kegging on the 5th.

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

askchucky
I was one of the late brewers

I was one of the late brewers.  Brewed on Sunday.  Fermentation is nice and active.  This was one of the most difficult brew days i've had.  A lot of things went wrong with my equipment and the such.  Also, put my hat down for a minute to get answer the door.  Couldn't figure out what that smell was.  http://i.imgur.com/xnojcd4.jpg  Whoops.   My OG came in at 1.063.  I plan to check gravity saturday and sunday with my hops to start the dryhop on Sunday.

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
I heard that the airlock for

I heard that the airlock for my batch was found sitting next to the fermenter. Who knows how long it was like that. I'm going to pull a sample when I hop it next tuesday. 

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
dry hopping!

dry hopping!

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
6% and ready for kegging!

6% and ready for kegging!

askchucky
With the issues I had on brew

With the issues I had on brew day I was worried about this beer.  But I was close on the numbers.  Coming in at 6.2%  and it smells great.  Currently dryhoping.  

joefalck
joefalck's picture
Good news from everyone.

Good news from everyone.  Icehouse, physics is on your side, if your beer was pumping out enough CO2 to blow the airlock off, it's a safe bet that there was a sufficient CO2 blanket on it to protect it, in addition to that hops have been the main preservative in beer for quite some time.  I think you'll be alright.  

Pages