My brew year's resolution for 2017-18

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matt O
Alchemist, member since
My brew year's resolution for 2017-18

Summertime brewing sucks, we all kind of feel that a bit. There's too much going on like every weekend and brewing (for me) takes a bit of a backseat. Summers not quite over, but I figured I'd share some of the things I need to work on for the rest of 2017 and going into 2018. Let me know if you resonate with this or if I've had like 1 too many beers with Struck. Feel free to post your own.

1. Take better notes - I plan to build a notebook and write notes manually vs. digitally
  2. Pay attention to the details
    1. Better pitching rates - starters, canned wort
    2. Better measurements - pH meter, take gravity readings, pay attention to water profiles
    3. Aeration - I plan to make an aeration pump to use with every beer
    4. Fermentation temperature - thermowell
  3. Build a toolbox for all my shit!
Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I've spent the summer

I've spent the summer learning water additions and brewing styles that I hadn't gotten to in the past.

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
I set out to change my

I set out to change my brewing mindset a few months ago and since then, I've been brewing only 3 different beers. Going to spend the year doing it to really dial in my process and repeatability (although I do have to brew a different style for a friend this coming week, but going to brew one of my staples along with it to keep the momentum). 

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
What a great topic.  I also

What a great topic.  I also want to start using a pen-and-paper notebook, not only relying on Beersmith.  I'm already doing a lot of repeating, but need to be more serious about consistent best practices (I've neglected to oxygenate a few times recently, for example).  I also want to be more consistent about entering my beers in competitions, to get the feedback.  

More lagers are definitely on the agenda.  I'm also organizing two barrel projects, mainly so that more club members get the opportunity to participate in barrel projects, but also so that I learn more about barrel aging beers.  

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
Mastering Homebrew_Worksheet

Mastering Homebrew_Worksheet.pdf

Jim - This is from Mosher's "Mastering Homebrew" and I will probably use this either with a binder or make a book out of it. 

Boollish
Boollish's picture
Alchemist, member since
I've really dialed in a

I've really dialed in a couple of styles through repitition and critical drinking.

Being a little bit more honest about pitch rates is on my list, but between making beers that require a healthy dose of yeast torture and those double pitch cans from imperial, we'll see how far I make it.

JamesFaircloth
JamesFaircloth's picture
Alchemist, member since
Sanitation, fermentation,

Sanitation, fermentation, temperature and working through all the euro styles and substyles I havent brewed yet for my brew journal.  7gal at a time.  Cheers!

--james

Ben r.
Ben r.'s picture
Alchemist, member since
Great topic. Completely agree

Great topic. Completely agree with the frustration of summertime brewing.  Been doing my best to brew as frequently as I still can which has really helped me get better at nailing good brewing practices and stop making dumb mistakes ("Shit - I still have hops left over.")  In next year I'd like to:

- brew more lagers and find that German farfegnugen flavor.  

- repeat a couple of my best beers to test the difference between luck v.  skill

- my latest idea:  brew a New "English" IPA with all-English malt, yeast and hops. 

But mostly just keep brewing  - want to make sure I do > 1 per month on avg