Welcome Mark, our newest 24/7 Brewer member!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
Welcome Mark, our newest 24/7 Brewer member!

Welcome to Mark Vande Haar who has just joined the ranks of the 24/7 Brewers!

I first met Mark, I believe, at the BJCP study group a year ago and I was immediately impressed. Ken Getty and Jamie Proctor say he will be an asset to the club, Josh Smith writes that Mark is very knowledgeable, and I have no doubt of either! Furthermore, with his skills in microscopy, Mark is definitely willing to help us out with a yeast lab (or, at the least, a class/workshop) of our own and, furthermore, Mark is indeed interested in serving on the Board and/or becoming an Alchemist!

Congrats, Mark! Welcome and happy brewing!

brockboland
brockboland's picture
Hooray Mark!

Hooray Mark!

ktownsel
ktownsel's picture
Welcome Mark!

Welcome Mark!

meredithvandehaar
meredithvandehaar's picture
Just read this! Thanks guys!

Just read this! Thanks guys! If I would like to serve on the board, I'd better start reading the forum! :)

So this isn't a useless bump, I will report on how the yeast thing is going.

I have pitched the first batch of my yeast in a friend's beer. It is a Citra IIPA. No off flavors in the stepped up starter, although it was a bit estery from the stress of stepping up 10 fold to 2L of wort. It looked to me eyeballing it that I would need much more yeast for 5 gal of 1.070 wort, and the flocculation was moderate. All the other stars seemed to align well for that batch though.

I will be presenting my process at the Square Kegs meeting on 10/30/14 at the Dank Haus, 7pm for anyone who would like to attend. 

eric
eric's picture
Cheers Mark!...

Cheers Mark!...

Curious, did you do a cell count after stepping up to 2L?

meredithvandehaar
I didn't have my microscope

I didn't have my microscope and hemocytometer at the house this weekend, so I didn't this time, but I plan to on the next batch. I am going to grow up another starter this week and step up to 5L with cell counts at each stage also so that I have something to say during my presentation regarding the growth rate. I won't have very many data points, but it will be a start.

Edit: run-on sentence

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
I can start doing some counts

I can start doing some countsas well for additional data that we could possibly compile later on. 

eric
eric's picture
This yeast propagation

This yeast propagation experiment is very interesting. Probably should start a new topic in the yeast forum about this...

meredithvandehaar
Sounds great! Thanks for the

Sounds great! Thanks for the help Kyle! 

Right now I'm working with 1056 exclusively. We can discuss our process in person if you'd like, I bet we could learn from each other.

I'm going to be at the brewhouse tonight to check on this beer. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning and early afternoon I can be there to help with Harvest Fest setup and working on this on the side if it is practical to out of the way.