Stout and Chili Night 2017 (VI) Planning Thread

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
MarkWalters
MarkWalters's picture
Alchemist, member since
Stout and Chili Night 2017 (VI) Planning Thread

Welcome to Stout and Chili Night VI! 

Sout and Chili Night was our first ever party, and has the largest attendance of any of our paries all year long. People who know CHAOS only for one thing know us for the weekend before the superbowl, we get together and serve excellent chili and soul warming beers.

As last year, there will be a people's choice chili prize. We welcome as many chilis as people want to make however, only the first 8 to sign up will be reimbursed for costs. Chili makers please plan for 3-4 gallons to ensure we have enough for everyone. You will be compensated up to $40 per chili. Please save receipts.

This thread will serve as a general planning area around S+CN with separate, specific threads below. I will update this post as needed.  

Details

When: Saturday, January 28th 2016 from 6:00-Midnight

Where: 2417 West Hubbard Chicago, IL 60612

Food: We're bringing back the chili competition. Categories and rules to follow.

Beer: Yes. Use signup sheet.

Facebook: 

Entertainment: Our House Band, Beer the Band, and special comedy players

Links

Volunteer, Beer and chili list here. Use the sheets at the bottom to navigate: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10M1zBu14eHBSAd7_jpd5DXL4VwMoE1N_...

This thread is a work in progresss... please let me know if things need to be changed/edited. 

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
Let's not forget about

Let's not forget about Stephen's planning pic he put together last year. 

StevenLane
StevenLane's picture
Alchemist, member since
I just posted on Facebook

I just posted on Facebook that we have entertainment lined up for SCN.

Matt mentioned a friend of his could do stand up. I think he could fit into the comedy section. I plan to update teh event description tomorrow or Friday, so let's post promo details here.

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
I think Jeff/Mark was saying

I think Jeff/Mark was saying that adding my friend would be a bit too much. He's willing if we want to have him. The Silver Fox has the last say.

StevenLane
StevenLane's picture
Alchemist, member since
I shot him a message fwiw; I

I shot him a message fwiw; I'm fine either way, we will have a lot going on.

Tynan mentioned playing instrumental blues as filler. The band is down with that. We will have a bunch of gear set up.

I can set up a playlist or commercial free streaming in the brewhouse.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Ha!! Yeah, let's save your

Ha!! Yeah, let's save your friend for Cerveza. We can run some ideas by him for entertainment during that party.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I would like to post our

I would like to post our party beers to Untappd. Please have your info finalized by this Friday evening!

StevenLane
StevenLane's picture
Alchemist, member since
Looks like Struck and I are

Looks like Struck and I are not on the list yet, which will push us over 40 home brews. As a drinker and the designer of menus, I'm a little intimidated.

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
Looks like there are only a

Looks like there are only a dozen or so stouts? Seems like this party has an identity crisis...

AJ
AJ's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
As a big 'ticker' I enjoy the

As a big 'ticker' I enjoy the beers being on untappd as well.

let me know if you need/want help on this front

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Thanks, AJ! I could use the

Thanks, AJ! I could use the help! I'll get in touch after Friday.

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
Holy shnikes there is a lot

Holy shnikes there is a lot of beer on that list - I'll be in this weekend to dive into the wrangling process. 

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
Plenty of beer, so I'ma drop

Plenty of beer, so I'ma drop the Blonde Ale I made - kinda need it for another purpose now anyway. 

JamesLewis
JamesLewis's picture
I have a keg of the black

I have a keg of the black goose, or whatever Daniel called it, back from the barrel in the old brew house. I think it's 2012. It's been in a basement, kegged under pressure this whole time, so it's still in good condition. Do we want to serve it? It seems fitting.

AJ
AJ's picture
my vote is yes!

my vote is yes!

as a note folks are saying 40+ homebrews but spreadsheet starts counting at 4

my math says: 36 +2 < 40

laugh

StevenLane
StevenLane's picture
Alchemist, member since
Nice call AJ, my math is

Nice call AJ, my math is lousy. I do know of a couple people not on the spreadsheet yet, think Struck said he had 3 beers or more. Print menu deadline is Wednesday.

AJ
AJ's picture
I'm just teasing a lil

I'm just teasing a lil

i've got no depth here, my first S&C so no clue how much shows up late/last min, etc

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
Yes James

Yes James

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
I'm going to drop by the BH

I'm going to drop by the BH after work to see where we're at, but I am pretty confident that the clubhouse does not have the resources to serve all of the 35 kegs (assuming we have to support 2 pro kegs) that are on this list. With that said, it would be really awesome if a few people would volunteer to bring their gas/regulator setups. I'll follow up on this later. 

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
Let's talk about that in

Let's talk about that in person. We've spent an incredible amount of time and money on taps in the past 2 years. There has to be a better way. 

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Why don't we just cap the

Why don't we just cap the beers at 40 and have the rest as back up? I can't imagine any of the beer kicking, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

AJ
AJ's picture
I'm happy to pull the two Elk

I'm happy to pull the two Elk Mountian SMaSHs and put them in brew keezer instead... if we're worried about having too many beers

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
MRW we have too many beers at

MRW we have too many beers at S&CN

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Haha!!  Our tasting cups are

Haha!!  Our tasting cups are like a stein to him.

We probably do have too many, but I don't want people who already contributed to feel like they shouldn't submit beer. I think capping it at 40 is a good solution for now, then remember this for the next party.

It is definitely a sign that we're all brewing machines!!

StevenLane
StevenLane's picture
Alchemist, member since
Having a few kegs running off

Having a few kegs running off a tank behind the bar would be nice, we haven't been utilizing the bar much for parties.

I have organized the beer spreadsheet into three groups listed by ABV
1. Da Stouts
2. Black to Brown
3. Amber to Gold

Haven't decided which beers go in the Keezer of Alchemy. I believe we agreed all bottles go to the bar, but it would be nice to keep the stouts together.

Anyhow, the print menu in peoples hands should match the beer layout: Tent City Taproom (back), Keezer of Alchemy (middle), Grand Heineman Bar (front).

I would like to add that I am no longer the weirdest brewer. Oddly, Rich now claims that spot (oak leaves and carrots, like something out of a nursery rhyme.)

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
Matt, besides the two Jockey

Matt, besides the two Jockey boxes (which only serve 8 beers on the liquid side), the club has not spent that much on serving equipment over the last two years. 

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
Stephen - We should be able

Stephen - We should be able to get the tap tower running, can we have 3 kegs back there for that? 

Rob - unless we've kept all of the picnic taps that we've made over the past 2 years and don't have to buy any more, we've spent too much. 

For everyone - who is pimping the party via media outlets? I just got in touch with DNA Info

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
You'll always be the weirdest

You'll always be the weirdest brewer to me Steven.  

StevenLane
StevenLane's picture
Alchemist, member since
Thanks Rich, I was having a

Thanks Rich, I was having a bit of an identity crisis ;-)

Bernie.Brews
Bernie.Brews's picture
I think Steven and Rich

I think Steven and Rich should actually Highlander this... "There can only be one".

But I have a mini jockey box, a tank that is probably half full with a broken reg, a 2 valve manifold, and a handful of party taps I can bring just in cases.

Matt, I'd be happy to shoot an email out to the Chicagoist for thier "Favorite Weekend Events" section. Hopefully I get through.

Matt O
Alchemist, member since
Awesome, thanks Bernie.

Awesome, thanks Bernie. Please update the doc at the top of the page as well as label any equipment you bring. 

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
Matt, I made a post in the

Matt, I made a post in the event that I put it up on as many sites as I could; I also asked if anyone else had any suggestions to let me know.

I've also been making (a feeble) attempt at FB and Twitter.

If this is a priority for the club (and/or parties) y'all need to delegate/dedicate someone to it.

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
BTW, 18th street made a

BTW, 18th street made a public and explicit point of bringing it to our attention that we have the "wrong and very old" logo. I told them to e-mail it to contact@chaosbrewclub.net if it really matters. So, someone with access should check that account.

roussel@mac.com
Alchemist, member since
I can bring in my two Phil's

I can bring in my two Phil's Pfaucets

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
We've been promoting the shit

We've been promoting the shit out of the party on FB. I also took over our Instagram account and have been promoting there.

MarkWalters
MarkWalters's picture
Alchemist, member since
18'th St didn't contact us

18'th St didn't contact us there. BTW - Facebook has a text limit for photos in ads - is there a low text image we can use for promtion??

StevenLane
StevenLane's picture
Alchemist, member since
Mark, I will pull together a

Mark, I will pull together a few SCN party pictures for a more Facebook ad-friendly promo post.

It's not worth promoting the type heavy flier designs, but they are nice to have on the event page.

The beer list should be ready to post Tue/Wed

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
If you guys want another

If you guys want another stout, I have 3 gallons of the BA Woot Stout. It's the same one Josh added, except I also added Vanilla Beans. Let me know.

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
FWIW, I just saw a memory I

FWIW, I just saw a memory I had from facebook and one of our previous Stout Nights claimed to have 50+ beers. So, we've already set the precedent that 40+ is *not* too many.

There was also talk at one point of having a quality control (for at least Stout Night, our most popular event) before the event. I think we're deathly afraid to discourage anyone from volunteering a beer but I don't think anyone who puts themself out like that is going to be insulted that we put their beer on the house keezer instead of serve it at a party (I bet this very kind of person would just try harder to get a beer in the event the next time).

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
Personally, I am firmly

Personally, I am firmly against what you are suggesting Jim. This is, or should be a club for all members at all levels, and if someone doesn't like a particular beer, go try one of the other 40. I would not care to participate in that kind of event, or that kind of club for that matter.

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
I'm not suggesting anything,

I'm not suggesting anything, Rich. Merely reminding one point of discussion pertinent to the "there's too much beer" conversation.

But, while I agree with you 90%, I think we'd be saving someone the embarassment of serving, say, an infected beer to hundreds of people if we had some kind of quality control.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
Rich, we're at equipment

Rich, we're at equipment capacity, so I think we're good on beer. Thanks for offering another one, though.

The menu is now final and we're currently organizing the menu and beer placement for the party.

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
Shucks, I have to drink it

Shucks, I have to drink it now...

JimChochola
JimChochola's picture
What are you saying, Rich,

What are you saying, Rich, you use events as a way to get others to drink your infected beers? :-P

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
If you're coming on Friday,

If you're coming on Friday, bring it for set up! We can put it on the keezer while organizing.

Rich
Rich's picture
Alchemist, member since
You blew it Jeff, it's so

You blew it Jeff, it's so much better than John's batch too.

Jim- Why'd you blow my cover?

Stewpid
Stewpid's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'm just seeing this. I have

I'm just seeing this. I have an awesome Stout I'll be serving. I'll add it to the list

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
I think that we should be

I think that we should be fine, but let's please cap the list after this. 

@ Jim C. - Previous winter parties were able to handle more beers because fewer brewers racked to kegs. For this event we are only looking at 7/44 offerings that will not require both gas and liquid side serving equipment. 

Stewpid
Stewpid's picture
Alchemist, member since
Since I was late to add mine

Since I was late to add mine to the list I could even get a small c02 cartridge  and served it with a picnic tap I already have. Let me know if I would need to pick it up. Thanks guys

Ben r.
Ben r.'s picture
Alchemist, member since
Well I guess I'm too late to

Well I guess I'm too late to contribute my beer, but I do have a 10lb CO2 tank (single regulator) at the BH in the storage racks upstairs, pretty near full.  If it can be used to set up another line for SCN I'd be happy to contribute it, even if its just for a simple keg and fawcet rig for one of the beers.

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
I can drop my tank off as

I can drop my tank off as well (2 gas lines). Not sure how full it is, but tryin' ta help out where I can this year. 

Pages